Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  idles at 3000 , in gear down to 1100, replaced cold start solenoid and egr and TPS

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
idles at 3000 , in gear down to 1100, replaced cold start solenoid and egr and TPS by traceymac
Started on: 12-24-2021 04:07 PM
Replies: 8 (325 views)
Last post by: traceymac on 01-10-2022 12:19 PM
traceymac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2021 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for traceymacSend a Private Message to traceymacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
checked all vac lines replaced a few mushy ends and lines. when i put in gear it idles down to 1100. tps has no adjustment, but old one replaced did not have it idiling this high ? light comes on , says tps code ? any suggestions ? 87 gt 2.8 I changed to rodney dickmann thermastat setup which dont feel has any thing to do with high idle

[This message has been edited by traceymac (edited 12-24-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2021 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The EGR tube on the Fiero V6 is notorious for cracking. If the engine doesn't stall with your finger covering the IAC port (and throttle closed), you've got a vacuum leak... and/or possibly someone has messed with the idle stop screw. (There should be a "plug" covering/hiding the head of this screw.) To take the idle stop screw out of the equation, cover the entire opening to the throttle body with the palm of your hand while the engine is running. If the engine still runs, there is definitely a huge vacuum leak somewhere.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-24-2021).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2021 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Vac Leaks

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2022 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check hidden hose. Remove throttle body and you'll see a rubber 90 degree hose connecting intake to throttle body. I've seen that hose deteriorate & crumble and it's not a tight enough fit to suite me. Your problem could be there. I don't have a pic but perhaps someone else will.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

decrawford1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2022 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for decrawford1Send a Private Message to decrawford1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Spoon - Is this the pic you're referring to, regarding the IAC air tube?

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2022 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by decrawford1:

...the IAC air tube?

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

The tube labelled as #5 above is what provides added air when the IAC valve opens. I find it odd to see it identified as a "Cold start valve air tube".
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2022 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you make it stall out if you put your finger over the IAC hole in the throttle body?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2022 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

Can you make it stall out if you put your finger over the IAC hole in the throttle body?

This suggestion was made in the first response here 16 days ago. Maybe the OP is having trouble getting the rubber intake snorkel off.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-10-2022).]

traceymac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2022 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for traceymacSend a Private Message to traceymacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thank you for follow up, I have not tried yet, below zero here and car is not garaged. I did clean throttle body and replaced IAC and egr and tube

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock