Real, PROPER clutch adjustment? by CSM842M4
Started on: 11-27-2021 12:15 PM
Replies: 8 (415 views)
Last post by: skywurz on 11-29-2021 08:37 PM
CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2021 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every time I have to do anything to any of our Fiero's for the first time and have to refer to my Chilton's manual, I am reminded of just how inadequate it really is. This time, it's the clutch on my wife's '86 4-cylinder 5-speed. Master and slave cylinders are new, bled to within an inch of their lives, and I have twisted all the slack out of both pushrods. However, it still seems as though there should be a more complete disengagement of the clutch when the pedal is down, especially when shifting into 5th or Reverse. And that cursed book says, more or less, that since the clutch is hydraulically actuated, there is no adjustment necessary or possible. To which I say "Balderdash!", whatever that means. So, what is the actual correct adjustment procedure to ensure a complete disengagement? Any and all input... Thanks in advance - Chris
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2021 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Change to an adjustable master cylinder banjo (pushrod).
http://rodneydickman.com/pr...o.php?products_id=56

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-27-2021).]

Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2021 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anything is wrong with the external system (master, slave, air, bent pedal, banjo, etc) it will bring the engagement/disengagement points lower to the floor. A healthy system will have no disengagement problems and you shouldn't have to jam your foot into the floor to get it.

I would also like to add that the Getrags are the only ones with a larger slave bore (15/16") so they have a shorter slave throw. You often hear the Fiero needs roughly 1" slave throw for full disengagement, but that only applies to Muncie 4-sp and Isuzu 5-sp with 13/16" slave bore.

All Fiero clutch master cylinder bore = 11/16" (roughly 1.5" throw)
Muncie 4sp & Isuzu 5sp slave bore = 13/16" (roughly 1" throw)
Getrag 5sp slave bore = 15/16" (roughly 0.75" throw)
[NOTE: These are GM Parts and throws are approximate]

So 3 things...

1. Make sure you have the correct replacement parts (bores) for your transmission to have the proper throws (sometimes parts stores give you wrong slave).

2. Make sure your 86 aluminum slave bracket is not cracked because it could be flexing (have somebody operate pedal while you watch) and could break off in future.

3. Make sure your pedal isn’t bent, remove it and look at it closely, the first 2 photos below show a good pedal, the second 2 photos show a bent pedal...

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 11-28-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2021 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your Fiero has the aluminum clutch pedal assembly chances are that it has bent. Also the bleeding process on the manual cars is very critical. I've had good luck using the Performance Tool brake bleeder. There is no adjustment on the factory setup.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2021 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless have system defects like bent pedal problem above...

Hydraulic Clutches for 90+% cars and most trunks are Not adjustable. System will self adjust sim to Brake systems.

Another common defect is bent arm between slave and pivot rod.
Some were weak from GM but others can bend if pivot rod, throw-out bearing and/or other parts are binding.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-28-2021).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2021 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In this regard, the Chilton's manual is actually correct. The clutch hydraulic system is not adjustable. It should be able to self-adjust, to an extent. But it's a very small extent. Worn or damaged parts can easily take it beyond its ability to self-adjust. That includes the clutch pedal arm, and the slave cylinder actuator arm, as mentioned above. Those are both common failure points.

For many of us, those parts started failing back in the 1990s. So if your car hung in there until 2021, you're pretty lucky.

Some Fieros came with a clutch pedal arm made of aluminum. Those are notorious for bending, and causing clutch issues. Later models had steel pedal arms. IIRC there are also aftermarket parts available. Also, some Fieros came with a slave cylinder actuator arm made from stamped sheet metal. Those are notorious for cracking or bending. The stamped part was replaced with a solid cast metal part. Those are also available OEM or aftermarket.
ZaraSpOOk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2021 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZaraSpOOkSend a Private Message to ZaraSpOOkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

If your Fiero has the aluminum clutch pedal assembly chances are that it has bent.

if the system is properly bled and you aren't getting enough movement, I'd put my effort (and money) on the peddle before the adjustable banjo
I've now owned my 88 highly desirable (sic) Getrag 33 years, bled it countless times, the only new part has been a new clutch peddle (why do you suppose the Fiero Store sells those things and not a brake peddle?)
there is a reason

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2021 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CSM842M4:
And that cursed book says, more or less, that since the clutch is hydraulically actuated, there is no adjustment necessary or possible. To which I say "Balderdash!", whatever that means.

As noted above, if the hydraulics are in good order and all the metal is straight, the book is exactly right about that.

Are your master cylinder & slave/follower cylinder anything other than Rodney Dickman's cast aluminum units or GM NOS fabbed steel units? A few years back, anything other than these two is hot garbage and will fail and cause problems within tens of miles... not joking. Looking at RockAuto... *maybe* that's gotten better, but I'm not holding my breath.
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2021 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you by chance do a v6 clutch? I ask because i started having this similar issue after swapping my l4 to a v6 clutch.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock