Headlight and Dashlight Issues by Rahkazur
Started on: 11-25-2021 08:32 PM
Replies: 8 (190 views)
Last post by: theogre on 11-28-2021 11:03 PM
Rahkazur

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2021 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RahkazurSend a Private Message to RahkazurEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all, I've been encountering some strange issues with my 87 GT.
I bought her back in April with the hopes of learning how to work on cars as I get her back into shape.
Lately I've been having issues with my lights. My dash lights do not come on at all, even when the headlights are turned on. It used to be that they would take a while to turn on after the headlights were turned on, but now they don't come on at all. A bit after this problem arose, my taillights went completely out as well.

I haven't checked the bulbs for the taillights or the dash yet, as I think it may be a fuse issue. As far as I know its not super common for *all* your dashl ights or both your taillights to go out at the exact same time.
Which brings me to my next issue: My headlights don't go down.

The headlight switch will turn the actual lights on and off, but they wont retract back in when turned off. I've had to manually turn the knob to get them down the last few times I drove the car.
All these issues cropped up within 2 months of each other which is why I think they all may have the same root cause.
Anyone with more experience than me, does this all sound like a fuse issue? Could all the issues be unrelated to each other? Anything similar happen to yall?
I appreciate any input y'all have. Thank you!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2021 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would start with replacing the headlight switch. Sounds like the contacts inside have gone bad. Also, roll the dimmer wheel below the headlight switch in both directions. Full one direction will turn all instrument lights off. Full in the other will brighten them and also turn on the overhead console light. You can get a light switch from The Fiero Store, but they are all black. Autozone sells the Duralast switch that's light gray and black like stock. They're about $15.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2021 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious, did you install a new stereo or do any work to that area of the car?

Just FYI, the taillights, side markers, headlight "down" fuction is controlled by 1 fuse.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-26-2021).]

Rahkazur

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2021 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RahkazurSend a Private Message to RahkazurEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Just curious, did you install a new stereo or do any work to that area of the car?

Just FYI, the taillights, side markers, headlight "down" fuction is controlled by 1 fuse.

I sure did, just a few months ago I installed an aftermarket radio because my tape player stopped working. Could that have caused the issue?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2021 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the dimmer wire. Here is everything that 1 fuse controls. I suspect the dimmer wire is connected wrong which blows the fuse every time you use the headlights. Disconnect the brown and grey wires from the stereo and see if that fixes it.

And this is what they do:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-26-2021).]

Rahkazur

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2021 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RahkazurSend a Private Message to RahkazurEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah damn lol that explains a lot. I've never put in a radio before so I didn't think about any other issues it could cause. I'll work on that later today and see if it works, thank you so much for your help
Rahkazur

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2021 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RahkazurSend a Private Message to RahkazurEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rahkazur

4 posts
Member since Jun 2021

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Yes, the dimmer wire. Here is everything that 1 fuse controls. I suspect the dimmer wire is connected wrong which blows the fuse every time you use the headlights. Disconnect the brown and grey wires from the stereo and see if that fixes it.

And this is what they do:

I just disconnected the Grey wire and replaced the fuse and it worked like magic, thank you so much! I really appreciate your help
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2021 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad everything worked out for you.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2021 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you short/overload the Gry wire...
Should blow 5A Inst LP fuse before blowing 20A tail light fuse.

Does Dash Dimmer knob Work?
If not See my Cave, Dash Dimmer

At minimum check Inst LP for 5A fuse because Maybe some fool put bigger fuse there...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock