LED bulbs for exterior lighting. by Rhodesia1977
Started on: 11-23-2021 06:14 PM
Replies: 11 (274 views)
Last post by: Spadesluck on 11-29-2021 04:42 PM
Rhodesia1977

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhodesia1977Send a Private Message to Rhodesia1977Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone tried using the LED bulbs for the exterior lighting like brake lights, blinkers, etc? I once tried some on my 2000 Cadillac Catera and they really messed up my electrical system. Just wondering if they would do the same to my 1986 Fiero GT. Thank you!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2021 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock flasher unit will get unhappy if you use LED lights in the turn signals. But you can fix that with an electronic flasher unit, made for LED bulbs. Also, the front side marker bulbs use a floating ground. If you put LEDs in there, the side marker lights will act funny. IIRC there's a work-around using a rectifier diode.

Edit to add: This stuff has been covered many times, over the years. A forum search should turn up a bunch of info.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 11-23-2021).]

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2021 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use switchback LEDs in bases with clear lenses in my front turn signals to meet Australian Design Rules for vehicles (white running lights and yellow turn signals). To get them to work with the standard bi-metallic flasher I had to wire a 5-watt ballast resister into each circuit to increase the resistance to the point where the flasher would operate the turn signals. Without the resistor, the flasher didn't sense enough resistance and acted like I had blown tail light bulbs. If you are replace all of the signal bulbs with LEDs, you'll probably need an electronic flasher.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2021 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All of my Meras have been converted to LED tail and stop lights in the rear. Remember to change both flasher units to LED capable ones for the best result.

Nelson
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2021 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've converted all my exterior light to LEDs with the exception on the third brake light. I had a few connection related issues until I changed out the bulb sockets and of course installed the 3 wire LED flashers.
NIT WIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2021 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NIT WITSend a Private Message to NIT WITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’ve heard some people are using something called a blinker genie to control them
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2021 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NIT WIT:

I’ve heard some people are using something called a blinker genie to control them

Don't waste your money on the blinker genie. It is used to make a single function led (like a brake light) into a two function light (turn and brake). Just use the correct quality bulb in clean or swapped out sockets with the 3 wire flashers. Some bulbs (lower quality) are polarity sensitive. If you go cheap on some 1156 / 194 etc and they don't work just reverse the bulb in the socket. Some people (myself included) use the same color bulb as the lense. (It's alledged that it helps the light show up better). Of course if you have a clear lense any color bulb will work. I have clear running , turn signal lenses on my 308 kit front bumper and use yellow bulbs.
NIT WIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2021 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NIT WITSend a Private Message to NIT WITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Don't waste your money on the blinker genie. It is used to make a single function led (like a brake light) into a two function light (turn and brake). Just use the correct quality bulb in clean or swapped out sockets with the 3 wire flashers. Some bulbs (lower quality) are polarity sensitive. If you go cheap on some 1156 / 194 etc and they don't work just reverse the bulb in the socket. Some people (myself included) use the same color bulb as the lense. (It's alledged that it helps the light show up better). Of course if you have a clear lense any color bulb will work. I have clear running , turn signal lenses on my 308 kit front bumper and use yellow bulbs.

I’m going to use the switchback led white/ amber
NIT WIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2021 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NIT WITSend a Private Message to NIT WITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NIT WIT

40 posts
Member since Apr 2019
PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2021 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought some LEDs from superbrightled.com. For my firebird taillights…1157. They are slightly brighter and blink a bit faster….also used a electronic flasher …no issues. I do think I might leave two old and one new led as it draws more attention to it as it’s kinda sequential..
Rhodesia1977

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2021 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhodesia1977Send a Private Message to Rhodesia1977Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

The stock flasher unit will get unhappy if you use LED lights in the turn signals. But you can fix that with an electronic flasher unit, made for LED bulbs. Also, the front side marker bulbs use a floating ground. If you put LEDs in there, the side marker lights will act funny. IIRC there's a work-around using a rectifier diode.

Edit to add: This stuff has been covered many times, over the years. A forum search should turn up a bunch of info.

Thanks for all the info! I did check the forum before but all I found was about LED bulbs in the instrument cluster. I think I will just stay with stock for now. Thanks everyone for your input.

PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2021 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only thing stopping you from converting to LED would be the flasher modules. Replace them both with LED ready flashers and it's that simple. Yes there are two of them in the fiero, one for turn signals and one for four way.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock