Need help with Service Engine Soon light by jjmarazzo
Started on: 11-20-2021 02:37 PM
Replies: 7 (336 views)
Last post by: NIT WIT on 11-22-2021 07:32 PM
jjmarazzo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2021 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjmarazzoClick Here to visit jjmarazzo's HomePageSend a Private Message to jjmarazzoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Over the summer the service engine soon light came on. I have a converted 88 Fiero Gt with a 3800 supercharger. The scan showed a bad O2 sensor. Since the car no longer has a catalytic converter there is only one O2 sensor. The performance of the car never changed. We purchased the correct O 2 sensor and had it installed. We cleared the computer and it all checked out. About 3 weeks later the service engine light returned again with no change in the car’s performance. My mechanic replaced the wires to the O2 sensor. He thought that they might have been frayed from a hot spot. Again we cleared the computer and the car worked well. Today while I was driving the service engine soon light returned . It’s been approximately 3 weeks again? Any advice will be appreciated? Like I said there is no change in performance so I doubt that it’s an ignition coil. these computers were first generation so I believe that it is an exhaust problem.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2021 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are you getting the car through state inspection with no cat? Do they not insert a sniffer into the tail pipe anymore?
Forrest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2021 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ForrestSend a Private Message to ForrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

How are you getting the car through state inspection with no cat? Do they not insert a sniffer into the tail pipe anymore?

Not required in some states. Classic cars here in Texas are exempt from emissions testing.
jjmarazzo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2021 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjmarazzoClick Here to visit jjmarazzo's HomePageSend a Private Message to jjmarazzoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In New Jersey cars that are 25 years or older do not need to be inspected.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2021 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also, inspection in NJ is largely just checking documents, a connection to the OB2 & newer ECM's to determine if the emissions systems are working as they should & a visual for a cat. The OB2 typically eliminates inspection of any car older than a 96 in NJ as that's when OB2 became an automotive requirement- as I understand.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2021 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When the Service Engine Soon light comes on something is obviously worn and you really can guess what the problem is until you do a PCM scan. We will be very busy this week with Thanksgiving but if you want to come by next week I'll put the PCM on a professional scanner and that will provide information help on finding the issue. If interested I can email my cell number

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2021 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis LaGrua

15139 posts
Member since May 2000

New Jersey is a pretty good state to be an automotive collector and hobbyist. As stated no inspection of any kind is required on any car 25 year or older.
If you own a modern collector or high performance car and drive it less than 5,000 miles per year you can get collector car registration and also not be required to go through inspection. You will have to retain the cat but there is no check for it
As for engine swaps, hot rods and customs, those are all legal.
Only cars newer than 25 yrs old, do go though an inspection that consists of a PCM scan only
New cars are automatically issued a inspection sticker good for 5 years

While I won't say that NJ is the perfect place to live; for gearheads it is a good place.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

NIT WIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2021 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NIT WITSend a Private Message to NIT WITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ours went bad on our series 3 swap and it idled really rough. Really need to see the voltage on it once it’s in closed loop operation

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock