5-speed Transmission Leak by Mxzx
Started on: 11-18-2021 10:23 AM
Replies: 5 (322 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 11-18-2021 10:38 PM
Mxzx

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MxzxSend a Private Message to MxzxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a pretty good leak and puddle after driving short distances. I know one shaft seal was leaking but this was coming from inside the bell housing, I figured it was the input seal. I pulled trans to find this! Any ideas what would cause the cover to come off, hard shifting? I just got the car so I have no idea if the trans was worked on previously.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't assume it was the transmission. It could be the engine rear main oil seal. Not hard to replace with the proper tool.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Mxzx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MxzxSend a Private Message to MxzxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So that cap doesn't seal fluid from coming out?
87_special

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mxzx:

So that cap doesn't seal fluid from coming out?

It does! Spread some rtv on the edge and smack it back it. Be careful when tapping it in. You can easily break the center of the puck. Use a block of wood or something. Refill with 2 bottles Penzoil or Valvolene Syncromesh AFTER axle reinstall. Good time to replace the axles seals also.

Check for oil behind the flywheel. Rear main seal and camshaft end cover gasket are sources of engine oil leaks.
Mxzx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MxzxSend a Private Message to MxzxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, will do!

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you fully drain the trans, it requires at least 2.5 quarts to refill.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock