Started on: 11-14-2021 02:05 PM
Replies: 14 (440 views)
Last post by: 87_special on 11-18-2021 08:52 PM
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2021 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering if anyone has done or tried a rotory swap? Besides a bellhousing adapter, what would prevent this engine from going in?
I know the direction of crank rotation isn't an issue because both directions are available from different manufacturers.
The sound of these things is amazing
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2021 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exhaust manifold will interfere with the passenger axle in a transverse setup.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...090907-2-091370.html
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2021 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could mate it to the Audi 01e transaxle (fwd version) in a longitudinal setup.

Of course you'd lose the trunk....

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 11-14-2021).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2021 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Exhaust manifold will interfere with the passenger axle in a transverse setup.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...090907-2-091370.html

Thanks, I actually did see this thread after I posted this topic. I found it in a Google search.
This has my interest, because if the exhaust is the only issue, it seems like a cool swap.
HarryT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2021 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryTSend a Private Message to HarryTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same problem swapping a rotory into my Samurai. I cut the outlet turned it to where it would not interfere with anything and re welded it. I am trying to attach a picture.
Harry

[This message has been edited by HarryT (edited 11-15-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2021 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see no advantage in a rotary engine swap. Those engines were not economical, burned excessive oil, prodiced high emissions and the wear was excessive The design is dead, repair parts are scarce so why would you want it in your Fiero?.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2021 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I see no advantage in a rotary engine swap. Those engines were not economical, burned excessive oil, prodiced high emissions and the wear was excessive The design is dead, repair parts are scarce so why would you want it in your Fiero?.

I hear you, but people do strange things for their own reasons I guess. For me, I like the sound and I am not worried about were because I wouldn't drive it enough to were it out. I am used to poor mileage. And it it different.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2021 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rotary engine can be a lot of fun. It's small, revs high, sounds great, and is fantastic when turbo'd. 🙂 Not everything needs to be practical.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2021 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Several people have commented on how "amazing" a Wankel engine sounds. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm old enough to have heard in person on the street every model with a rotary engine that Mazda made... and I honestly thought they all sounded rather anemic, at least during normal around-town driving.

Maybe it's the same people who enjoy the whine of a turbine who like the sound a rotary engine makes... when it's wound up to 10k RPM?

I can remember when the Mazda Cosmo was introduced back in '68. It was unique.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-15-2021).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2021 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Several people have commented on how "amazing" a Wankel engine sounds. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm old enough to have heard in person on the street every model with a rotary engine that Mazda made... and I honestly thought they all sounded rather anemic, at least during normal around-town driving.

Maybe it's the same people who enjoy the whine of a turbine who like the sound a rotary engine makes... when it's wound up to 10k RPM?

I can remember when the Mazda Cosmo was introduced back in '68. It was unique.

I actually kinda like that car. At least that picture of it. It looks like a Ford Tbird.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2021 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a cool car! I want one!! Just as a point of reference, here is the Cosmo in its last year of production, 1995. Not to be too critical I hope, this reminds me of the classic 'warm-up-a-frog slowly' process whereby it never realizes that it is being poached. When car designers slowly change a stunningly executed model (1967) over the years to 'keep up with the times' do they lose the ability to see that the car's character has disappeared?

[This message has been edited by Notorio (edited 11-16-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2021 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I actually kinda like that car. At least that picture of it. It looks like a Ford Tbird.

Yeah, from most angles, I like it too... but not so much from the back

Originally posted by Notorio:

When car designers slowly change a stunningly executed model (1967) over the years to 'keep up with the times' do they lose the ability to see that the car's character has disappeared?

It became rather generic looking, didn't it? The original car was kind of special.

da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be curious how well the stock manual transmissions would like the higher RPM limit of these engines.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by da.slyboy:

I would be curious how well the stock manual transmissions would like the higher RPM limit of these engines.

As long as the proper gear oil is used, I don't see why it would be a problem.
I think the problem is more likely to be physically mounting the engine and associated parts to and around the transmission?
87_special

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

As long as the proper gear oil is used, I don't see why it would be a problem.
I think the problem is more likely to be physically mounting the engine and associated parts to and around the transmission?

Getrags don't like to shift at RPMS higher that 7500. I remember a couple big cam N/A 3x00 guys had a hard time with it in j-body platform. That was quite a while ago, maybe someone found a solution.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock