Car cranks but won't start by billybacon
Started on: 11-10-2021 12:54 AM
Replies: 7 (442 views)
Last post by: Forrest on 11-11-2021 07:31 AM
billybacon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2021 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billybaconSend a Private Message to billybaconEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car turned off at a stop sign and wouldn't turn back on. My gas indicator is known to act up, so I started there and got it a gallon of gas. That initially worked and got the car to the gas station and back. I noticed when i filled it, though, it didn't put in 9, gallons, it put in 4, meaning it had gas in it, already. After I got it back to my driveway, it wouldn't turn on again. It will turn over, and I can hear the fuel pump start and stop normally on the run position. I don't know engine stuff too well and I can easily get lost looking at some of the guides in the manual, but it's something I've been meaning to learn. How can I diagnose and fix this?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2021 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the tachometer move while cranking? If not, replace the ICM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2021 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by billybacon:

I can hear the fuel pump start and stop normally on the run position.

Doesn't mean that there's necessarily enough (or any!) fuel pressure. Check the fuel pressure with a tester and/or try starting the engine using starting fluid. If it starts, you've got a fuel delivery issue. If it still doesn't start, you've probably got an ignition issue, and if so, it's often the ICM (see previous post) that's failed.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-10-2021).]

eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2021 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by billybacon:

My car turned off at a stop sign and wouldn't turn back on. My gas indicator is known to act up, so I started there and got it a gallon of gas. That initially worked and got the car to the gas station and back. I noticed when i filled it, though, it didn't put in 9, gallons, it put in 4, meaning it had gas in it, already. After I got it back to my driveway, it wouldn't turn on again. It will turn over, and I can hear the fuel pump start and stop normally on the run position. I don't know engine stuff too well and I can easily get lost looking at some of the guides in the manual, but it's something I've been meaning to learn. How can I diagnose and fix this?

Get some starting fluid and spray it into the air intake. If the car starts and then stops, you have a fuel delivery problem. If not, you have an ignition/electrical problem. This will point you in the right direction as far as where you need to be looking...
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2021 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What Engine?

Example:
L4 first check is look into oil fill hole and watch rockers move while someone else starts the car.
No move = very likely timing gear failed.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

billybacon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2021 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for billybaconSend a Private Message to billybaconEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

What Engine?

Example:
L4 first check is look into oil fill hole and watch rockers move while someone else starts the car.
No move = very likely timing gear failed.

It's a rebuilt iron duke at ~50k miles.
billybacon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2021 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for billybaconSend a Private Message to billybaconEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

billybacon

7 posts
Member since Jun 2021

Originally posted by eti engineer:

Get some starting fluid and spray it into the air intake. If the car starts and then stops, you have a fuel delivery problem. If not, you have an ignition/electrical problem. This will point you in the right direction as far as where you need to be looking...

Where should I spray the starter fluid? Just in the little hole near the air filter?
Forrest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2021 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ForrestSend a Private Message to ForrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get in the car and start it while pressing the gas.
Have someone spray starting fluid in here.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock