troubleshooting help by Nacnud9
Started on: 11-09-2021 08:36 PM
Replies: 7 (516 views)
Last post by: Forrest on 11-20-2021 07:06 AM
Nacnud9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nacnud9Send a Private Message to Nacnud9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I've got a bit of a broad question here. I have a 1988 Fiero GT, which the previous owner has left sitting for the past 5 years or so. The car reportedly ran and drove before it was abandoned. After putting new fuel, coolant, and a new battery in it, I attempted to start it, and it cranked but did not start. While starting, I noticed that the oil pressure went up to a healthy level. I also noticed that when putting the key into the on position, I couldn't hear the the hum of the fuel pump priming, but it could be just that it was too faint for my ears. I did hear a faint clicking sound a few seconds after putting the key into the on position. This is about as far as I got troubleshooting the issue. I know it's not a whole lot of information, but I'm not very good with engines, and I guess I just need some help as far as where I should start looking for the problem. So any advice on how to start troubleshooting this would be helpful. Thanks everybody.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a fuel pressure gauge (borrow or whatever) check pressure.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Normally, to diagnose an issue like this you start by confirming fuel, spark, air and timing. This is a generalization which covers many things, but will help narrow down the issue.

Of course... be aware that you may have multiple issues compounding the problem. Whatever you do, don't start randomly replacing items. You could easily introduce new issues. New Fiero parts are notorious for being bad before they are even installed.

I'd start with the fuel system since it is easy to check. Two ways to start: 1. spray some starter fluid into the throttle body intake then try to start the car. If the problem is solely fuel related, then it should start. 2. Pop off the fuel line and put the end into a small container. When you turn the key, you should see a stream of fluid. If not, then the problem could be a bad fuel relay (located in the engine bay, on the firewall, behind the driver's seat), or a bad pump (it's also common for the small rubber hose in the tank to fail when the car has sat for an extended period). Before changing the relay or dropping the fuel tank, make sure you look over the wiring first to ensure there aren't any broken wires or loose grounds.

Start with this first and report back if this doesn't locate the issue.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 11-09-2021).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before any further attempt to start a car that sat for 5 years, you should do this:

1. Drop the fuel tank and clean out the junk inside. Confirm the pump works and is not clogged.
2. Remove all the injectors and get them professionally cleaned.

Even if you can get the car started it will not run well until these things are done.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-09-2021).]

Nacnud9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2021 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nacnud9Send a Private Message to Nacnud9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everybody. So I tried to disconnect the fuel line from the engine, or what I thought was the fuel line, but when I unscrewed it, the nut came off, but the line was still in there and I couldn’t get it out(see image). Is this the fuel line? I thought it was, but I’m not sure. I don’t know much about where stuff is in this engine. Speaking of which, I would like to try spraying starter fluid into the throttle body to see if I can narrow the problem down to just the fuel pump, but I have no idea where the throttle body intake is. I can’t find any comprehensive engine diagrams and I was wondering if someone could show me where the throttle body is located. Anyways guys, thanks so much for the help. Please be patient with me, I am learning.
V8Steve

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2021 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi,
If you follow the air cleaner back to the motor, you will find the throttle body. Hope it starts for you.

------------------
88GT 355 CI, AED HO 750 Double Pumper, AFR milled 180, Dyno'd at 427 HP, 360 WHP, F40 6-Spd
anderson@gdsconsulting.com

DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2021 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Before any further attempt to start a car that sat for 5 years, you should do this:

1. Drop the fuel tank and clean out the junk inside. Confirm the pump works and is not clogged.
2. Remove all the injectors and get them professionally cleaned.

Even if you can get the car started it will not run well until these things are done.

100% agree with the gas tank drop & clean & fuel pump test. That little rubber hose in the tank may well have turned to gooo as well.
Forrest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2021 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ForrestSend a Private Message to ForrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drive an 88 GT daily. You CAN hear the fuel pump prime. Sounds like yours is bad, unplugged, possibly the fuse is blown...perhaps the relay. Like others have said you really should drop or drain the tank. Its all varnished up no doubt. If you dont you will have to do the following anyway to replace/clean your injectors.

That fuel line will not come out without pulling the fuel rail out. You have to remove the upper intake to do that....also unbolt the throttle body from the upper intake. I have managed to get the upper intake out without fulling removing the throttle body.

I have an 86 and an 88. Both needed a new fuel pressure regulator and the injectors cleaned/replaced.

Some downloads for you:
https://fieroinfo.com/manua...ns_Repair_Manual.pdf
https://fieroinfo.com/manua...nes_Manual-Fiero.pdf
https://fieroinfo.com/manua...o_Service_Manual.pdf

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 11-20-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave