Never been done before....Fiero under/overheating thermostat quetion by dayv27
Started on: 11-02-2021 10:45 PM
Replies: 5 (477 views)
Last post by: cebix on 11-07-2021 01:11 PM
dayv27

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2021 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dayv27Send a Private Message to dayv27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'86 SE has been running cold, like not getting above 130. Possible stuck thermostat, possible temp gauge sending unit....
Ordered a cheap 195' thermostat just to test, and ordered a new sending unit from Fiero Store.

Got the thermostat today and went to change it out, and guess what.....there was no thermostat in the car to change!! So whoever had it before me (Just got it 2 months ago) had been running it with an open loop.

So I put the thermostat in, and my son and I go for a ride around the block. And it goes into red, but doesn't hit 260. I turn the heater and fan on, and it comes back down to just under 220. We keep driving and it goes back up again into red. No dash light, but up into red on the temp gauge. Turn the heater and fan on again and it drops back down again. 3 times in about a mile and a half. So we park it, and I let it idle to see if it'll come out of red or top out in the driveway (hey, at least I'm at home) and it does the same thing. Up into or just barely into the red and then back to 220.

It does this three or four times before I park it for the night.

So, what is the "correct" thermostat to get. I'm thinking the $7 from O'riely wasn't the best answer, but I had only bought it to help rule out what the problem was.

And how do I test the "hey stupid it's overheating" light to make sure that it's functional? I don't see it at all when I start the car and the other lights come on and I've changed all the dash light bulbs already.

And other suggestions and insight are welcome. I'm new to all of this and don't have a good grasp of electrical testing and whatnot. Use of small words and pictures are greatly appreciated.

------------------
I dated a girl in high school purely because she had a fiero.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2021 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do Not trust the Dash Gauge.
Scan ECM or use other ways to test it.

"over heat" can be many things w/ or w/o T-stat installed.
See my Cave, Crushed Pipe etc. for some problems.

That's before engine have problems.
V6 water pump w/ plastic guts like to slip. worse if overloaded w/ restricted flow.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2021 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check for crushed pipes etc. that Ogre mentioned.

Use a 195F thermostat and get Rodney's 210/200F cooling fan switch.
"Almost into the red" is 235F where the stock fan switch turns the fan on.
http://rodneydickman.com/pr...o.php?products_id=88

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-03-2021).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2021 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it ran (too) cool before crushed pipes will not be the issue for running "hot" now. The question is is it really running too hot or 1. is the gauge off 2. Does the fanswitch work 3. Does the thermostat work. Does your radiator fan come on when these high temps occur?
donridenour3134

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2021 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donridenour3134Send a Private Message to donridenour3134Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you follow the procedure for burping the system to insure it's full of coolant?
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2021 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The idiot light not coming on is a factory miswire, you have to swap 2 wires at the dash and two at the sender.

https://www.fierofocus.com/...%20works%20normally.

You got the V6 or the I4 duke? Manual or auto? AC equipped or not?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock