rear knuckle adjustment rod 88 by yellow peril
Started on: 10-11-2021 02:32 PM
Replies: 6 (160 views)
Last post by: yellow peril on 10-12-2021 10:36 AM
yellow peril

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow perilSend a Private Message to yellow perilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I brought my 88 plain jane coupe to a shop to get an alignment done and the guy said he couldn't do the rear because the knuckle adjustment rod was too corroded and he couldn't move it.
TFS used to sell a kit that had all the rear parts (trailing arms etc.) but I called and they no longer have it. anyone know of a replacement for these parts. or a fix for the adjustment rod?

[This message has been edited by yellow peril (edited 10-11-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe he is talking about this part that is hi-lighted yellow; If not, tell us which numbered part in the diagram....

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 10-11-2021).]

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Strongly recommend this: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120882.html

Very good modification to sharpen the handling of an '88 Fiero with no downside whatsoever.
oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Strongly recommend this: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120882.html

Very good modification to sharpen the handling of an '88 Fiero with no downside whatsoever.

I did this on my '88. Very easy to do. Looks great. I haven't gotten my alignment yet. I'm expecting the alignment shop to tell me they can't budge the front without tearing something up. I have no idea how old my front is. I bet it is all OEM.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

oneinch

119 posts
Member since Oct 2020

Originally posted by yellow peril:

I brought my 88 plain jane coupe to a shop to get an alignment done and the guy said he couldn't do the rear because the knuckle adjustment rod was too corroded and he couldn't move it.
TFS used to sell a kit that had all the rear parts (trailing arms etc.) but I called and they no longer have it. anyone know of a replacement for these parts. or a fix for the adjustment rod?

See previous replies. Upgrade all four of your lateral links. If not, you just need a new tie rod sleeve. The adjustable link is composed of three parts; two ends and a sleeve connecting them. The OEM sleeve works, but is pretty flimsy. You should be able to muscle the sleeve off the ends; even if it requires destroying the sleeve. Just don't destroy the ends. Figure out the thread specs and search Summit Racing for a replacement sleeve. I don't know if one is available. You need the right length and thread pitch. The ends should be fine, though you may need to clean up the threads. This will take a bit of work. Doable, but I do think you'll be far better off making new adjustable lateral links.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

yellow peril

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow perilSend a Private Message to yellow perilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes will and CVX jet, THATS what I'm looking for! thats a great looking rod. I'll have to order those. thanks so much for the replies.
I've never messed with any suspension parts (other than changing the steering rack, 3 TIMES). gonna be fun.
a little nervous about the spring though.

forgot to mention, I figured while I'm in there I'd do the front and rear bushings, ball joints and shocks also.

[This message has been edited by yellow peril (edited 10-12-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock