Fiero 2.8 timing all out of whack by Cameron416
Started on: 10-08-2021 03:22 PM
Replies: 11 (281 views)
Last post by: Xenoblast on 10-09-2021 02:15 PM
Cameron416

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2021 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cameron416Send a Private Message to Cameron416Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1985 Fiero GT completely stock. Beginning of this year head gasket went so I swapped in a V6 out of what I believe was an 87 SE (It has the updated oil pan and plenum). The engine has been in the car since April. Ive had it running but never for more than a minute because the car will only idle around 3,000 rpm and both headers and the y pipe begin to glow orange in less than a minute. The engine was pulled apart several times before it went in so I tried starting the timing from scratch. I pointed the distributor towards cylinder one while the engine was at TDC (I verified the engine was in fact at TDC and the harmonic balancer doesn’t appear to have slipped. Ive tried the distributor in several different orientations but cant get the car running long enough to actually time it. Any help is appreciated I am only 18 and learn most of what I do off youtube or this forum so I’m sure there’s something that I must be missing. Thank you
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2021 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your timing may be off, but you also might have vacuum issues.

On the plenum, as it faces the FRONT of the car, there's a large vacuum hose. When I unplugged mine the idle went HIGH and the headers were cherry red!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2021 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can't fix timing at 3000 rpm, so fix the vacuum leak first. Its either the hose Arthur mentioned or the EGR tube....that's a BIG leak.
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2021 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also check if the idle pipe thing that is connected to the throttle body is plugged in, I had that unplugged and mine idled that high. Once it idles below probably atleast 1500 rpm warm then check timing. You could always just guess the correct timing for and then fine tune it later, a good place to start atleast according to my car would be having the flat side of the distributer pointing directly left, with no angle if that makes sense. Glowing exhaust indicates retarded timing to me

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 10-08-2021).]

Cameron416

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2021 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cameron416Send a Private Message to Cameron416Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the responses. I with check for vacuum leaks when i get home from school this weekend
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2021 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a vacuum leak.
I bet the EGR pipe is cracked, or not hooked up like Xenoblast said.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 10-08-2021).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2021 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cameron416:

1985 Fiero GT completely stock. Beginning of this year head gasket went so I swapped in a V6 out of what I believe was an 87 SE (It has the updated oil pan and plenum). The engine has been in the car since April. Ive had it running but never for more than a minute because the car will only idle around 3,000 rpm and both headers and the y pipe begin to glow orange in less than a minute. The engine was pulled apart several times before it went in so I tried starting the timing from scratch. I pointed the distributor towards cylinder one while the engine was at TDC (I verified the engine was in fact at TDC and the harmonic balancer doesn’t appear to have slipped. Ive tried the distributor in several different orientations but cant get the car running long enough to actually time it. Any help is appreciated I am only 18 and learn most of what I do off youtube or this forum so I’m sure there’s something that I must be missing. Thank you

Glowing exhaust piping means the engine is running lean, which is often as a result of a vacuum leak. Check the EGR tube for cracks. There may be a few issues.
Cameron416

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2021 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cameron416Send a Private Message to Cameron416Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you everyone for the responses. The egr was in fact loose but I can’t tel if it solved my problem because now the car won’t start. I checked and there is plenty of spark coming out of the plugs. The fuel is flowing I can hear the pump prime and smell the fuel. The car just cranks. I set engine to TDC and verified the distributor rotor was pointing at cylinder 1. After trying to start a few more times I took off the distributor cap when at TDC again and the rotor was pointing 180 degrees away from cylinder one? This engine came out of a parts car so Im starting to worry theres something bigger going on. Any insight is greatly appreciated Im just really confuses at this point.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2021 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great, you have the uncontrolled vacuum leak fixed. Now we have to make normal idle air circuit work.
Will it start if you hold the gas pedal down just a bit?

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 10-09-2021).]

Cameron416

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2021 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cameron416Send a Private Message to Cameron416Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

Great, you have the uncontrolled vacuum leak fixed. Now we have to make normal idle air circuit work.
Will it start if you hold the gas pedal down just a bit?

Does not start with gas pressed
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2021 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you do anything else other than tighten the EGR tube?
PFF
System Bot
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2021 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cameron416:

The car just cranks. I set engine to TDC and verified the distributor rotor was pointing at cylinder 1. After trying to start a few more times I took off the distributor cap when at TDC again and the rotor was pointing 180 degrees away from cylinder one?

First thing you should check if the car used to start but suddenly not is if the tachometer is moving or not when cranking. If not replace the ignition control module under the distributer cap. As for the rotor pointing 180 degrees, this is normal. as the engine reachs TDC twice, one time cylinder 4 is firing, the other cylinder 1. Aslong as you havent touched the timing chain, there is no problem with this.

Another thing you should try is starting the car while pressing the throttle all the way down, apparently this forces the car to run at 20:1 afr, its worth a quick try I guess

Also I just realized, you said you can smell the fuel? That indicates a leak in the gas system

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 10-09-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock