New alternator seized, by SemperFi18
Started on: 10-07-2021 12:16 AM
Replies: 12 (369 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 10-08-2021 06:48 AM
SemperFi18

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, so I fixed my wiring issue and got the car running great.. Other than the god awful squeal from the brand new Bosch alternator. It's seized pretty bad, here's my theory from some info I got online, just want to see if anyone here has had a similar issue.

I installed the belt months ago while the engine was still out, before installing the alternator it spun perfectly fine with no issues. Could the stator have become wedged sightly due to being under tension for a few months before I cranked it? I also MAY have had the belt a little too tight...

From what I've read you can work it free with a breaker bar and some oil (good luck on a Fiero) so I may have to remove it tomorrow, it's too late at the moment. Just want to bounce some ideas off you guys, this is not a refurbished Alt, brand new. Pulleys are aligned perfect, pretty much no time on the rebuilt engine... Also going to install the tensioner from Dodgerunner while I'm at it, should have done it in the first place
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did you buy the alternator? If you bought it at an autoparts store, chances are you can still get a replacement.
SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xenoblast:

Where did you buy the alternator? If you bought it at an autoparts store, chances are you can still get a replacement.

Got it from rock auto.. never had any issues with their stuff. Plus it's a Bosch, I just find it odd it spun freely before install. Now it's seized, or at least bound up inside. I just wanted to see if anyone that has done a rebuild and had their engine on a stand for months has had this issue
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really Only 2 things will cause that...
bad alt out of box.
Too tight belt making bearing problem. This also wrecks the water pump and more on inside part on the belt.

Too loose and belt just slips and ruin it fast. Often in a few minutes to a few revs fast even if you stop noise later.

good luck get RA to give you return data. Many have problems when want warranty return w/ then.

You can not fix seize/jammed alt by oil or breaker bar.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would return it.

Auto parts may sit in a box on a shelf for years, or on a car in storage for months.

It should not have seized up from sitting on an engine stand in a garage, or having the belt too tight.

Edit to add....

I never, repeat NEVER, order parts from Rock Auto or any other online parts store.
Go to the local auto parts store - support your local businesses and community!
You may pay a bit more initially, but if you're a loyal customer you will get a good discount.
I buy locally for less than the online vendors, and if there is a problem, it's easily rectified.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO YOUR TAXES WHEN THE LOCAL BUSINESSES ARE ALL GONE?

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 10-07-2021).]

V8Steve

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I once bought a Dorman harmonic balancer from RA and it fit so loosely on the crank you could have tossed it on from the other side of the room. Dorman told me in writing it was defective and returnable. RA refused to take it back or they wanted me to pay the shipping to return defective parts. After that...no more parts from RA.

------------------
88GT 355 CI, AED HO 750 Double Pumper, AFR milled 180, Dyno'd at 427 HP, 360 WHP, F40 6-Spd
anderson@gdsconsulting.com

Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I never, repeat NEVER, order parts from Rock Auto or any other online parts store.

only time rock auto should be used is getting more rare parts, for example timing cover. My timing sprocket blew up and punched a hole into my timing cover, and the autoparts stores didnt have them.
SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Really Only 2 things will cause that...
bad alt out of box.
Too tight belt making bearing problem. This also wrecks the water pump and more on inside part on the belt.

Too loose and belt just slips and ruin it fast. Often in a few minutes to a few revs fast even if you stop noise later.

good luck get RA to give you return data. Many have problems when want warranty return w/ then.

You can not fix seize/jammed alt by oil or breaker bar.

I try and buy from my local stores when I can, their selection of Alts for the Fiero were garbage. I've had nothing but issues with house brand parts, particularly electrical. I figured this Bosch would be a safe bet, weird thing is it spun just fine when I installed it.

I don't think it's seized bearing wise, I think the stator has become jammed against the windings. On this case you definitely can free them up, I've seen it. I'll find out tomorrow and let everyone know. Got off late today and football is on haha

SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SemperFi18

64 posts
Member since Aug 2016
And just so we're clear.. auto zone, Napa and O'Reilly's are not mom and pop local shops you should support over an online vendor haha. They are massive corporations as well
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Now that RockAuto has streamlined their shipping from the US to Canada, it's a no-brainer to choose RockAuto over any local shop. The prices here aren't even in the same ballpark.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36403 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by SemperFi18:

I installed the belt months ago while the engine was still out, before installing the alternator it spun perfectly fine with no issues. Could the stator have become wedged sightly due to being under tension for a few months before I cranked it?

I suspect that possibly something (small bolt or nut?) has entered the casing and has jammed between the stator and the rotor.

PFF
System Bot
SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2021 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I suspect that possibly something (small bolt or nut?) has entered the casing and has jammed between the stator and the rotor.

That's definitely possible.. I have never dropped so many nuts and washers than I have working on my Fiero. Everything is so damn tight, good news is rock auto is honoring the warranty, so I'm sending it back and I'm just gonna pick one up in town. I've waited long enough, in driving this damn car this weekend haha. I'm going to attempt to free it up tomorrow, I've seen people do it. I'll update tomorrow

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2021 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

This was actually my thought, too.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock