Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Size hose to "patch" leak in coolant tube?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Size hose to "patch" leak in coolant tube? by John W. Tilford
Started on: 10-06-2021 04:21 PM
Replies: 2 (101 views)
Last post by: oneinch on 10-06-2021 10:49 PM
John W. Tilford

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2021 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1988 GT.

I have a slow leak of coolant out of the stainless steel tube just in front of the driver's side rear tire. It's next to, but not directly from, what appears to be a drain hole. The presumed drain is slightly raised from the surrounding cylinder shaped tube. I have found a welder who is willing to try to fix, but needs the tube taken out and brought to his shop. I, being old and challenged, am thinking of the difficulty in extracting the tube, getting the fixed tube back in without damage, and maybe the welder will fail.

One of the Forum commenters described pulling a flexible hose over a crack in a coolant tube and "put four clamps on it and it lasted several years". It looks like I can get to the rear end of the tube without too much trouble, disconnect from currently clamped (goes to engine) hose, and be able to follow the commenter's example.

What do you think about the cheap/hope-to-be-easy approach? What size hose? What about some lubricant to make it easier to pull the hose down the tube and over the [presumed] drain hump?

As always, thank you for your help.

------------------
John W. Tilford

[This message has been edited by John W. Tilford (edited 10-06-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2021 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a similar leak a long time ago and I drained the coolant from the tube and brazed it with MAP gas and brazing rod. It still doesn't leak.

The tube is 1-1/4" OD, so use 1-1/4" ID hose. Better yet, pull out a ruler/calipers and measure the tube OD.

oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2021 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good thing you have an '88 in this situation. Removing the coolant tubes is very easy on this model. Not so with previous model years. I have 6" blocks to sit the car on. This is high enough to do the job. Higher makes it easier still. I can go to 12".

I had work done on mine. While they were out I wish I had pressure tested them. I have a small leak on my passenger side. I'm not sure if it's the tube or the heater core hose teeing into it.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock