Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Another grounding question before I set something on fire...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Another grounding question before I set something on fire... by SemperFi18
Started on: 10-03-2021 03:00 AM
Replies: 13 (261 views)
Last post by: buddycraigg on 10-08-2021 08:53 PM
SemperFi18

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2021 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good evening gentleman, I hope you're endeavors are going well for these frustrating cars we love so dearly.. I'm about 6 months into a pretty in depth rebuild on my 86 2M6.

The light at the end of the tunnel is there, I went to hook up the main terminal wires to the battery and got a little more Sparks than normal of the negative side. Immediately followed by a slight building up electrical noise and a little smoke.. the wire in question appears to be a ground wire going to the c500.

Here's what I think I did, please confirm or deny so I can get this ***** running before winter gets here. Positive went from the battery to the starter, small wire to the terminal block below the connectors. NOW.. the negative small wire went to the chassis, the large one I attached to the AC compresser.. on the compressor. That weird unused threaded hole on the top corner?? I'm assuming I'm wrong here, I know a solid block connection would be best, which I will do tomorrow. (Needed a beer and joint)

What's the best most accessable place to attach that wire? I'm assuming running it on the compressor body is creating too much resistant since the compresser attaches to the bracket (painted) then to the block.. I would have just thought I would have weak electrical and not heating wires. Only had the negative terminal connected for a few seconds, so hopefully not too much damage has been done.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated, I really wanna drive this car tomorrow. All I did was a long block stroker kit and replaced all sensors plus other suspension components. Nothing with the harness other than re wrapping and tapping the wire loom wrap(cosmetic only)

Sorry for the lengthy post.. I'm getting at my wits end with this rebuild as I'm sure most of you have. I just need a second thought and idea from another mind to get me going. All other grounds are solid and in correct spots. Just the main one concerns me, mainly with the smoke..

Thanks gentleman, you are the unsung heroes of the car world. Forum gospel at it's best. Winner gets a $25 gift card to your favorite restaurant
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2021 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The large battery ground attaches to the head above #1 sparkplug, inboard of the passenger side hingebox.

You have another problem, however, as ground wires should never burn up.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2021 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have at least one, and preferably two ground straps from the engine to the frame? You should.
SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2021 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an update.. it appears the wire that's burning up is the A2 wire on the c500. From what I'm finding is the engine ground connection. My negative terminal is ground directly on the block by the engine strut mount. I have the braided ground to from the deck lid mounted and the dip stick tube mount, so pretty much the block. I'm at a loss. Didn't do anything to the electrical, if anything I have created better grounds than it had

SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2021 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SemperFi18

64 posts
Member since Aug 2016
So from what I'm reading it's supposed to be a black wire that goes I into the A2 slot for the engine ground. Mine is not black, it's a light greenish/teal. I've checked all grounds, they seem solid. Immediately when you connect the negative terminal this wire gets hot and begins to melt. No other wires are having issues. Any ideas guys?

If you're looking at the c500 with the bolt facing down, it is the far left row, second pin down. A2 correct?

SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2021 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SemperFi18

64 posts
Member since Aug 2016

SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2021 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SemperFi18

64 posts
Member since Aug 2016
Okay... I'm getting somewhere. Found that green wire is going to the starter. But I don't think it goes there haha, it's on the main post with the big positive cable.

It's on a round metal post connector with another black wire, it sits right by the starter but must connect to the block. Weird thing is I cut that green wire and the problem goes away, car cranks (forgot to connect the fuel pump connector) but I want to get the electrical solid before I go any further. Anyone else know where that black/light green wire bundle goes down by the starter?
SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2021 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SemperFi18

64 posts
Member since Aug 2016
Figured it out
PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2021 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do tell what you found. It could help the next guy .
SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2021 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ended up being the green/black wire bundle that goes to the starter, I had it hooked up on the large terminal. It needs to go through one of the starter bolts as a ground.

I'm still having issues getting the fuel pump to prime, but no more hot wires haha.
SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2021 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SemperFi18

64 posts
Member since Aug 2016
Ended up being the green/black wire bundle that goes to the starter, I had it hooked up on the large terminal. It needs to go through one of the starter bolts as a ground.

I'm still having issues getting the fuel pump to prime, but no more hot wires haha.
PFF
System Bot
SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2021 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SemperFi18

64 posts
Member since Aug 2016
While there's still interest, I'm not getting the check engine light when I turn the key on. Dash lights up, dome lights work, car cranks, I have oil pressure but fuel pump won't prime. I reset the ecm, fuse is good, and I did plug the PITA fuel connector by the fire wall.. still no fuel
Knight Rider

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Knight RiderSend a Private Message to Knight RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest seeing what error codes are in the ECM. https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes That would at least let you know if the ECM is okay. Other suggestion is to check the Fuel Pump Relay.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2021 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SemperFi18:

Can you give me a picture?
That doesn't sound right.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock