Delphi vs AC Delco by Indyrestoproject
Started on: 09-22-2021 03:20 PM
Replies: 10 (1069 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 09-24-2021 04:14 AM
Indyrestoproject

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2021 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyrestoprojectSend a Private Message to IndyrestoprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can anyone recommend one or the other for a price vs quality comparison. Has anyone had good luck with a Delphi? Most parts stores want $99 to $130 for a Delco. Premium fuel injection pumps says they have one for $60 but I've already gotten a bad pump from them and I'm not anxious to get another unless they make good on it. Won't be holding my breathe. Is the AC Delco worth the extra money? ps If you do a tank get the rubber hose connectors from the Fiero store, so much easier than hard rubber. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Indyrestoproject (edited 09-22-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2021 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are you trying to buy? but usually AC Delco is the better way to go and worth the extra cost
Indyrestoproject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2021 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyrestoprojectSend a Private Message to IndyrestoprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, it's a fuel pump for an '84. The car started running rough last spring and I wanted to see what the tank looked like. I bought a cheapie pump just to have on hand. The tank turned out to be spotless so I put the new pump in and tested it. It was pumping but somewhere between test and install it lost continuity. When I took it out this morning it was dead to the meter and dead to power. Maybe I can get credit since the same company sells the AC pump. I'll throw the old one back in and see what happens just for now until I can get the AC. At least it was running. Thanks. At 130K it's probably not the original.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2021 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had a Delphi in the tank for 10 years wihtout a problem.
The real problem is finding legit brands not made in China to lower standards. Even with ACDelco on the box.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2021 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AC Delco used to be a premium quality brand until they closed all their US manufacturing plants. Today what you get is a box filled with a Chinese made part purchased by AC Delco from the lowest bidder. A few AC Delco parts are made in Mexico like the ignition modules and I've had luck with them but I would say Chinese made AC Delco part quality is now a crap shoot.
Delphi used to be part of GM but they were sold to the Chinese. They still exist and I believe do their own manufacturing. For fuel pumps my go to brand is Bosch. They are made in Brazil but in a dedicated Bosch factory. The quality has proven good. Over 7 years in my 87GT and still going strong

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2021 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ACDelco is or was a GM Brand for GM to sell parts to the public. Has been mostly just a Brand for 20+ years that generate High $ markup to GM and and nothing better for most things sell to you but loves your wallet.
Is about the only place to get battery cables for side term batteries with correct battery end. Nearly everything else is really made by low bid winner for X number of years. Is why Oil Filters have change a lot when the contract gets rebid etc.

In Short, Delphi Was a Spin Off of All GM Parts Divisions.
Harrison AC
Packard Electrical
etc.

Delphi went "Bankrupt" soon after spinning for several reasons and moving many to most parts to China and other places even then.
Delphi went Bankrupt again in 2008 has spit in several pieces...
Delphi Tech is just part of BorgWarner Inc.
Some sold back to GM.
Delphi Automotive Systems is now Aptiv plc in Dublin, Ireland.

Delphi/Aptiv = nothing now for Retail Parts.

walbro fuel pump are good but often hard to find real ones. They too get counterfeited big time.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2021 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I've had a Delphi in the tank for 10 years wihtout a problem.
The real problem is finding legit brands not made in China to lower standards. Even with ACDelco on the box.

Aye, there's the rub. Rock Auto for example lists eleven different part numbers for a V6 Fiero fuel pump. I'd bet all of them are made in China.... Or if not, it's probably Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, etc, etc...

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2021 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

For fuel pumps my go to brand is Bosch. They are made in Brazil but in a dedicated Bosch factory. The quality has proven good. Over 7 years in my 87GT and still going strong

Bosch is probably what I would use today as well.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2021 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by theogre:
Delphi Tech is just part of BorgWarner Inc.

I'm not positive where Borg Warner is made, quality standards/etc. But I have a Borg Warner ICM that is going strong and has run for 9 years. (I used Radio Shack heat sink compound.)
Indyrestoproject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2021 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyrestoprojectSend a Private Message to IndyrestoprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your comments. I found some articles saying Delphi and AC are essentially the same. I'll be dammed if I spend another buck on ebay for a pump from Premium Fuel Injection Pumps. They won't even respond to requests to honor their warranty or give credit for a new pump. Rip off. I'm picking up the new one in the morning. Going to try and tear into this cheapie. See why it went south in 5 minutes.

[This message has been edited by Indyrestoproject (edited 09-23-2021).]

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2021 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the old days I'd swear by AC Delco but as others have stated now, pretty much every brand is made in China and just stamped Delco or whatever on it. Often there's no difference in quality.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock