Overheating… by branger
Started on: 09-18-2021 08:37 PM
Replies: 4 (152 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 09-19-2021 10:56 PM
branger

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2021 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brangerSend a Private Message to brangerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey gang, my 86, 2M6 temp gauge went into the red while stuck in traffic…. Back on highway, went back down, I’m sure due to wind. Question… What’s the quickest way to diagnose and fix? I was told, change out the thermostat and test the radiator fan. Thermostat is easy, but not sure about the fan… as always, advice is greatly welcome. also, it does not have A/C.

[This message has been edited by branger (edited 09-18-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2021 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did your rad fan come on at any point while you were stuck in traffic not moving?
branger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2021 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brangerSend a Private Message to brangerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I couldn’t tell if fan came on as it was in the middle of super busy traffic and didn’t know about fan till I spoke to a guy much later… if I just sit with it running in the driveway, will the fan automatically turn on?
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2021 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was having this problem...My '85 2M6 would overheat on my commute home from work.....I noticed that the fan would only start running as the car was overheating- not before. So I replaced the original 237* fan switch with a 220* switch...The fan comes on when it is hot our or when I am stuck in stop & go traffic- but not all the time like a 195 switch I originally tried.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2021 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by branger:

if I just sit with it running in the driveway, will the fan automatically turn on?

yes, and your gauge may be well into the red.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock