Replacing stock oil pressure guage/sender by Crash_out
Started on: 09-15-2021 11:44 AM
Replies: 4 (428 views)
Last post by: theogre on 09-16-2021 08:55 AM
Crash_out

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Crash_outSend a Private Message to Crash_outEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know the stock oil pressure sender includes a fuel pump circuit. I was wondering if I replace the stock guage with an aftermarket one, either mechanical or with its own sender, do I need to do anything with the fuel pump wire.

Also, seems like I heard somewhere the stock ECM monitors the oil pressure and won't allow the engine to run with too low pressure or no signal?

------------------
Thanks!
-Nick

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Crash_out:

Also, seems like I heard somewhere the stock ECM monitors the oil pressure and won't allow the engine to run with too low pressure or no signal?

Wrong. You could have no oil in engine (0 pressure) and ECM wouldn't care.

The oil pressure unit only sends signal to gauge and a switch in the unit is a "backup" in case the fuel pump relay fails.
In that case, cranking the engine pumps up the oil pressure enough to close the switch and run the fuel pump and engine.

If you use an oil pressure sending unit without the fuel pump switch circuit - no problem (unless you have bad fuel pump relay).

.------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-15-2021).]

Crash_out

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Crash_outSend a Private Message to Crash_outEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, thanks!
snyderman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snydermanSend a Private Message to snydermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting. Let us know which oil pressure setup you go with.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2021 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can T both senders w/ standard pipe fittings. NPT ¼ or ⅛ for OE hole and sender.
Maybe too small size to see at big box stores...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock