Factory stereo amp (?) location... by CSM842M4
Started on: 09-15-2021 07:56 AM
Replies: 3 (420 views)
Last post by: CSM842M4 on 09-15-2021 09:50 PM
CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't remember where I read it, whether on this forum, in my Chilton's or in Pontiac literature, but somewhere was mentioned the existence of a factory stereo amplifier, separate from the head unit. Seems like it was supposed to be located below the center console somewhere. As I find myself preparing to do more stereo work on my entire fleet (3 Fieros, a Broncos II and a VW Fox), and going to all aftermarket equipment, I figured it would behoove me to learn what was in every vehicle before I dig in and mess something up. Has anyone come across this amplifier? Is it worth using if it works? Is it easily removed so as to replace it with an aftermarket unit? Any input, advice or experience is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tnkgnr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tnkgnrSend a Private Message to tnkgnrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the car had the subwoofer, there should be an amp behind the carpet - to the right of the radio and where your passenger's left knee would be. Otherwise, no amp.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tnkgnr:

If the car had the subwoofer, there should be an amp behind the carpet - to the right of the radio and where your passenger's left knee would be. Otherwise, no amp.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool. Thanks, tnkgnr and fierosound. To the best of my knowledge, none of the Fieros in my driveway have the sub, therefore, no amps either. So, next question - if there's no amp, did Pontiac fill that void with anything, or is there room to put a REAL amp in there? Not talking anything super high wattage, as I'm sticking with factory-sized speakers, just going to upgrade a bit. Rockford-Fosgate makes a few compact fan-cooled amps that might fit if there's nothing there...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock