What are these wires?? by A_Lonely_Potato
Started on: 09-14-2021 04:26 PM
Replies: 6 (217 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 09-15-2021 02:57 PM
A_Lonely_Potato

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2021 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_Lonely_PotatoSend a Private Message to A_Lonely_PotatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I've been having my fuel pump fuse blow, so while checking all the wiring I have come across these 2 snipped wires underneath my center console. I have no idea what they are to, hoping someone here can give me insight?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bmyers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2021 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmyersSend a Private Message to bmyersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is anything NOT working? A quick glance at All Data shows green and blue wires were used for many functions incl cruise control, turn signal indicators, etc.

------------------
Brian from Long Island, NY
'86 3800SC Auto

CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2021 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both of those wires go to your reverse light switch. One should be hot with ignition on, the other will take power to the lights with the switch closed.
A_Lonely_Potato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for A_Lonely_PotatoSend a Private Message to A_Lonely_PotatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmyers:

Is anything NOT working? A quick glance at All Data shows green and blue wires were used for many functions incl cruise control, turn signal indicators, etc.

Cruise control is not working, i have yet to tackle that as I don't really care about using it. All lights work as far as I can tell (including reverse lights when in reverse CSM842M4, from what I found that switch was only for the 4 speed not 5?)

I don't understand what you mean by "All Data," is that a page for electrical information?
CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably true, 'Potato. Think the 5-speeds and automatics had the switch at the transmission. If you have something other than a 4-speed, you should be able to butt them off, tape them up and never worry about them again.
A_Lonely_Potato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_Lonely_PotatoSend a Private Message to A_Lonely_PotatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CSM842M4:

Probably true, 'Potato. Think the 5-speeds and automatics had the switch at the transmission. If you have something other than a 4-speed, you should be able to butt them off, tape them up and never worry about them again.

Sounds good, thanks. Makes me wonder why they would be bare wires though
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2021 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 85 and 86 model years had a plug in the console for the 4-speed backup lights, as well as a plug on the engine harness for the 5-speed.

I suspect someone snagged the plug at one time.

Tape them off individually and be done with it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock