iron duke 85 motor swap with 84 by cajunfiero
Started on: 09-11-2021 06:24 PM
Replies: 2 (94 views)
Last post by: cajunfiero on 09-12-2021 12:00 PM
cajunfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2021 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cajunfieroSend a Private Message to cajunfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have an 85 fiero 4 cylinder with a 5 speed and the motor is shot. i just got my hands on an 84 fiero 4 cylinder. i was looking at the motor and there are some slight differences with the distributor and the wiring harness looks different. i also read that the 85 motor has roller lifters.

my question can i just take the engine harness and distributor off the 85 motor and install it on an 84 motor? then drop in the car? wasn't sure if the computer programmed for an 85 would cause an issue.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2021 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You change change 85 parts to 84 engine (may need 85 TBI and other parts so throttle cable works etc.) but...
Is a true 84 engine that often have one to several issues even if seems in "good shape" now.
84 and early cars may had engine replace under warranty/recall and that engine likely Isn't 84 long block but 85-86 long block.

See my Cave, Do You Recall? & Duke Quick Ref

What's wrong w/ 85 engine?
Some problems are easier to fix then replace the engine.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

cajunfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2021 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cajunfieroSend a Private Message to cajunfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the 85 engine has to be rebuilt. you can hear the grinding noise and i found metal shavings in the oil pan. i may keep it and get it rebuilt later. just wanted to get it running on a low budget right now. i did have to change out the throttle plate for the cable but everything else looks good. i will install it and report back how it goes in case someone else is in the same situation.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock