Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  From what kind of glass are the T-Tops glass panels made?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
From what kind of glass are the T-Tops glass panels made? by imacflier
Started on: 09-07-2021 06:21 PM
Replies: 2 (139 views)
Last post by: imacflier on 09-08-2021 08:30 AM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, all,

So: are the T-Tops made from tempered glass or from laminated safety glass?

TIA

Larry
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2021 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most to all T-tops and removable sun roofs are Solid/Tempered "Safety Glass" same as most side and rear glass.

Laminated glass is only for Windshield on most vehicles.
Some old cars, BS "Cybertruck" tried Laminated glass for sides etc and safer then plain glass is not "bullet proof" no matter what Conman Musk claims.

Real "Bullet Proof" laminated glass is way heavy, way thicker, cost many times more then nearly all other types and never put on consumer vehicles. And if hit by "shot put" size metal ball will likely break a few layers but not damage shown w/ Hypetrunk video.

All 3 types are strong but will "fail" hit w/ Point Loads.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 09-08-2021).]

imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2021 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
theogre,

Thank you. I suspected that was the case, but needed confirmation. My interest is driven not by safety issues, but rather the ability of the glass to be cut: laminated glass can be cut (though still with considerable breakage risk while tempered glass simply cannot. I am looking a rolling my own T-Tops and it now looks as if it will be necessary to find old panels or use lexan or solid panels.

Your answer is much appreciated!

Larry

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock