Door lock cylinder replacement puzzler by CSM842M4
Started on: 09-07-2021 05:46 PM
Replies: 12 (356 views)
Last post by: ArthurPeale on 03-15-2023 04:53 PM
CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wife drove her '86 SE to visit her daughter in St. Louis late last week and locked the doors at the house. Went to unlock with the key and all the guts spilled out of the driver's side cylinder, such that it wouldn't unlock. She went to passenger side and found the same condition, but was able to fiddle with it long enough to get it open. So now I get to replace the cylinders as a set.
At this point I have the driver's door card off, and it looks like the cylinder is "pinched" between a stamped sheet metal bracket on the inner door frame and the outer door skin. So, does the skin have to come off to get this done? Is it easier with the skin off? Pros and cons of leaving it on and pulling it? Anyone? Beuller? Thanks in advance - Chris
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cylinders are held on with a large C-clip on the outside of that metal plate. If you removed the outer door skin, the clip would be facing you. It simply unclips and the lock cylinder can be removed. The issue is how to reinstall the clip if you cannot see where you are installing it.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is easier with the skin off. Downside of removing the skin is of course the clips that hold the trim on will probably break. I could NOT get the C-clip off fishing it out through the sharp edges of the door sheetmetal. Fiero Store sells the clips and door lock sets.
CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. IMSA GT and RWDPLZ. I got the feeling that it would be easier with the outer skin removed. I've discovered that the outer handle needs replaced now as well, so... Am I mistaken, or is the lock cylinder pinched in that bracket by the clip on the outer side and the lock rod arm on the inside?
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CSM842M4:

Thanks. IMSA GT and RWDPLZ. I got the feeling that it would be easier with the outer skin removed. I've discovered that the outer handle needs replaced now as well, so... Am I mistaken, or is the lock cylinder pinched in that bracket by the clip on the outer side and the lock rod arm on the inside?

The handle will need to be removed anyway in order to remove the door skin. Here is a picture of my car I just took for you. My car is a little different as I have removable door skins held on by DZUS fasteners so I had to customize the panel so the handle stays on the car when I remove the skin. In your case, you'll need to remove the handle.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-07-2021).]

katie80

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katie80Send a Private Message to katie80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wife drove her '86 SE to visit her daughter in St. Louis late last week and locked the doors at the house. Went to unlock with the key and all the guts spilled out of the driver's side cylinder, such that it wouldn't unlock. She went to passenger side and found the same condition, but was able to fiddle with it long enough to get it open. So now I get to replace the cylinders as a set.
At this point I have the driver's door card off, and it looks like the cylinder is "pinched" between a stamped sheet metal bracket on the inner door frame and the outer door skin. So, does the skin have to come off to get this done? Is it easier with the skin off? Pros and cons of leaving it on and pulling it? Anyone? Beuller? Thanks in advance - Chris

I have done it with the skin on, from the inside. it really wasn't that difficult. just kinda finnicky to get the right angles for my screwdriver.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2021 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the aero trim on the 86SE, you will have to drill out the rivets for the plate that supports the lower door trim. Fastenal has what's needed to reattach it, but I found the local store doesn't sell to the public any longer. Only to account holders. Grainger might be an option for the big rivets you will need.

Fiero Store used to have a 3 cylinder set that included a matching trunk cylinder. I was going to provide a link for you, but they don't offer the 3-piece matched set any longer.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2021 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have replaced the cylinder without removing the outer door skin. If you have smaller hands it is not to bad. Unfortunately I have ham sized hands and eventually used a snap ring tool to get the clip reinstalled.

Nelson
CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2021 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, everyone. Seems like a mixed bag, but I sort of expected that. Think I'm gonna take a stab at it with the skin ON the door to start, and remove it if the clips are just completely uncooperative. More to follow...
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2021 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How I did mine:

http://ltlfrari.no-ip.com/DoorLocks/DoorLocks.htm

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2021 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, SO far, that wasn't so bad. Followed lilfrari's thread and removed the door trim and tension adjuster. The adjuster and multiple of the trim retainers were broken, and I folded the lock rod clip removing it. Thankfully, the Fiero Store has the clips and retainers, and unless anyone knows of a source for the adjuster, I think I can modify the existing one. I don't want to change Fiero door lock cylinders all day every day, but I can at least do them comfortably now. Thanks, all, for the advice and encouragement!
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2021 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This may not apply to this thread topic, but I replaced the stock Fiero door lock cylinders with 2006 Monte Carlo cylinders for my LS4 swap. That way I only have one key for the entire car. That also means I replaced the deck lid key as well. Just about anything can be done if you want it.
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2023 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

This may not apply to this thread topic, but I replaced the stock Fiero door lock cylinders with 2006 Monte Carlo cylinders for my LS4 swap. That way I only have one key for the entire car. That also means I replaced the deck lid key as well. Just about anything can be done if you want it.

I'd like to know more about this - is there a writeup?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock