Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Lost keys... Ignition lock cylinder: replace? Recode? Something else?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Lost keys... Ignition lock cylinder: replace? Recode? Something else? by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 09-07-2021 11:40 AM
Replies: 9 (281 views)
Last post by: buddycraigg on 09-26-2021 04:04 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A first for everything, I lost the keys to my Fiero for the first time in 36 years... Actually, that's not true because I lost the spare ignition key during moving about 25 years ago. Anyways, needless to say I was "almost getting around to" making spare keys - but I never did. I do have a spare key for the door, just not for the ignition. So what are my options? Can I "read" from the existing cylinder what key I need? Or do I need to buy a new cylinder?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
katie80

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katie80Send a Private Message to katie80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

A first for everything, I lost the keys to my Fiero for the first time in 36 years... Actually, that's not true because I lost the spare ignition key during moving about 25 years ago. Anyways, needless to say I was "almost getting around to" making spare keys - but I never did. I do have a spare key for the door, just not for the ignition. So what are my options? Can I "read" from the existing cylinder what key I need? Or do I need to buy a new cylinder?

when my ignition cylinder got too worn out to work right I just replaced it. it's really easy. there's a good set of 5 or 6 videos walking you through it. I bought a replacement with an unbranded key and then took that key to my Cadillac dealership and had a gm branded key cut. not sure about reading it. I personally wouldn't bother, since the ignition key is ONLY for the ignition.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replacing may cost less then recode plus have a new lock.

Replace it needs tools to do that.... Steering wheel puller and lock plate tool.
people in US often get those thru "Free" loaner tools programs at many auto part stores. But you may have to buy them thru amazon etc.
Note: Some parts in/on the column are NOT Metric like OE S-wheels puller holes need SAE bolts w/ puller tool. Think S-wheel nut is SAE too but Metric wrench can work if not too tight.

"Recode" needs Real Locksmith to visit the car w/ tools to read the lock and have key blanks for Old GM cars.
Can cost in US but in NL can be hard to find someone to do that making cost more.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Saggy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaggySend a Private Message to SaggyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I got my Fiero the ignition lock cylinder was stuck in the on position, so I couldn't properly shut it off. I got a new one for $20 from napa, found a video and got it done in less than an hour. I had no experience at the time, I wouldn't worry about any struggles. Just make sure you really torque down the bolt that hold the steering wheel on, or else the wheel will slip dome during heavy turning.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Store also sells the ignition switch. The cylinders are different internally in the later years. I think the 87 and 88 use a different key blank than earlier years.

Cliff, sending you a PM about how to address lost keys.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We JUST had a thread on this topic.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I seriously have been looking for my keys for about 5 hours at end. When I gave up and wanted a cookie, I found the keys under the pack of cookies. I kid you not.

Not only that, I have a bowl with a bunch of keys that I either found on the street, or in my house, or wherever. I have never thrown them away just in case. One of the keys looked like it could be an ignition key (although it looked quite a bit different than the spare key I lost). I take it to my car, insert in the ignition, turn it, and the car starts right up.

So... yeah...
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go buy a lottery ticket.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a web developer you should know nothing works without a cookie
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2021 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
glad you found your keys.
With the right tools, you can change the lock cylinder in about 20 minutes.
I have a video of it that I made about 13 years ago.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock