Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Good battery, but my Fiero won't start/No power as if there was no battery

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Good battery, but my Fiero won't start/No power as if there was no battery by FranklinTurl
Started on: 09-06-2021 10:35 PM
Replies: 5 (540 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 09-07-2021 02:14 PM
FranklinTurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2021 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FranklinTurlSend a Private Message to FranklinTurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1984 Fiero SE 4 cyl.

I had just moved and drove the car about 300 miles, right when I go to my destination, it died. Battery was good and the lights would come on but the engine wouldn't even crank. got it towed somewhere i could work on it and I had just finished replacing the starter ( I just got a new starter from a fiero I found at a salvage yard ) as that was the only thing I think it could be. With the new starter in, I had charged the battery and was reading a good 12.24 volts, but when I went to start the car, not even the lights would turn on. it's as if the battery wasn't even in the car, but its hooked up correctly and has a good charge with it. Before I put the new starter in, I didn't have any issues getting any of the lights on, but the starter shouldn't have anything with getting the lights on right?

any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

***Update: found the issue. Turned out to be a bad ground wire, just replaced it and we are back up and running!***

[This message has been edited by FranklinTurl (edited 09-07-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2021 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easiest thing to do is take one end of a jumper cable to the negative of the battery and take the other end and clamp it to the engine block. Just make sure its out of the way of moving parts. See if you at least get power back to the interior. Sounds like a bad/failing ground.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FranklinTurl:

On the 84, the wires with fusible links connect to the starter (same post as battery cable) and power the rest of the car.
Only the small Purple wire is on the small connection to activate the solenoid.

The negative battery cable grounds to the engine head with and additional ground to frame (also one at transmission end).

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-07-2021).]

katie80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katie80Send a Private Message to katie80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had just moved and drove the car about 300 miles, right when I go to my destination, it died. Battery was good and the lights would come on but the engine wouldn't even crank. got it towed somewhere i could work on it and I had just finished replacing the starter ( I just got a new starter from a fiero I found at a salvage yard ) as that was the only thing I think it could be. With the new starter in, I had charged the battery and was reading a good 12.24 volts, but when I went to start the car, not even the lights would turn on. it's as if the battery wasn't even in the car, but its hooked up correctly and has a good charge with it. Before I put the new starter in, I didn't have any issues getting any of the lights on, but the starter shouldn't have anything with getting the lights on right?

any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

I had the same issue with my 84, no signs of life except the lights. there is a wire that runs from the generator to the starter solenoid that sends power to the rest of the car somehow (not quite sure how). mine was replaced with a regular wire at one point and it burnt out. took forever to figure out. it is the red wire on the top of the generator. try running another wire to the starter from the generator to see if it is indeed your problem. I installed a fuse at the generator and replaced the burnt wire and it solved my issue. on the first diagram, the wire has fusible link A as part of it. hope this helps!

wiring diagrams for 84 fiero

[This message has been edited by katie80 (edited 09-07-2021).]

FranklinTurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FranklinTurlSend a Private Message to FranklinTurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you to everyone that helped, I got it all figured out! it was a bad ground wire.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2021 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you to everyone that helped, I got it all figured out! it was a bad ground wire.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock