1988 Blue Color Code by ledtear
Started on: 08-24-2021 03:40 PM
Replies: 18 (577 views)
Last post by: Xenoblast on 10-07-2021 02:25 AM
ledtear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2021 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ledtearSend a Private Message to ledtearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I had, back in the day, a blue 1988 Fiero. I recently purchased a red 1988 that is in deep need of a paint job. I'd like to recapture that blue.

Anyone know where I can find the color code?

[This message has been edited by ledtear (edited 08-24-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DrXtreme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2021 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrXtremeSend a Private Message to DrXtremeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to Sherwin Williams auto paint store and they can look it up.
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2021 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blue wasn't an 88 color so yours was likely a repaint which might be different shade than the car you owned.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2021 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It probably was either:
An 87 - as it was the only year with blue paint
A repaint

In the even it was an 87 factory blue, here are the paint details:

ledtear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2021 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ledtearSend a Private Message to ledtearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was definitely '88 blue. I bought it new. Maybe a glitch at the factory? Anyway, these codes are probably what I need. Thanks!
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2021 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ledtear:

It was definitely '88 blue. I bought it new. Maybe a glitch at the factory? Anyway, these codes are probably what I need. Thanks!

Interdasting.

The upper body color and lower body color are encoded in the RPO sticker, but I don't know the deets of figuring them out from the RPOs on the sticker.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2021 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ledtear:

Still have the VIN? That would clear up the year.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2021 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88 did not have blue as an option. Perhaps it was an 87 , purchased in 88? Or someone ordered a custom color from the factory..
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2021 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like 88 seats i vote repaint
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2021 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let's see newb comes on, claims he had the one 88 blue ever made, yet has no knowledge of VINs, RPO codes, etc.
Vs
Factory specs claim no 88 blues, no Fiero owners on the forums ever reported owning or seeing one (the most die hard Fiero enthusiasts are/have been here), and factory lines could only handle 4 colors at a time so they wouldn't have been able to shoot a blue car even if one had been requested. Further had it been an executive or a die hard that ordered one special, the owner would have known that. The idea of a random Joe showing up at his local dealer and saying "any 88 Fieros for sale?" and the dealer saying "yea we got this blue one sitting here", and neither party having any involvement in special order flies in the face of common sense.

My vote is an 87 left unsold on the lot into the 88 model year, and OP walked in in 88 and thought he was getting an 88.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2021 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

My vote is an 87 left unsold on the lot into the 88 model year, and OP walked in in 88 and thought he was getting an 88.

+2

As is often the case, the simplest, most obvious answer is usually the correct one.

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2021 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it could be the '88-specific nose, but I'd like to see a full pic.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2021 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart: snip
factory lines could only handle 4 colors at a time snip

Maybe Joe in the paint department forgot to switch Channel 4 from blue to yellow prior to the 88 start up and oops! a few blue ones!! I've never seen a blue 87 notchie myself.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2021 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Looks like it could be the '88-specific nose, but I'd like to see a full pic.

You're saying 88 coupe and 87 coupe had different front fascias?
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2021 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

reinhart

1091 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by MarkS:

Maybe Joe in the paint department forgot to switch Channel 4 from blue to yellow prior to the 88 start up and oops! a few blue ones!! I've never seen a blue 87 notchie myself.

Early 88 MY:
White, Black, Maroon, Silver.

Late 88 MY:
White, Black, Red, Yellow.

We know 87 was maroon and late 88 was red (last two Fieros were red). And we know 86 was red only and 87 was maroon only. It's likely those were the same slot.
We know yellow was late 88 MY based on the literature stating yellow orders were not delivered until later, and that silver was avallable in 87 so I'm assuming Yellow took the Silver slot.
I believe white and black were permanent paint slots from 84-88.

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2021 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As far as I know, the 87-88 coupe fascias were the same. The rear covers were different, the 87's only had a cutout for single sided exhaust exit, where the 88 had cutouts for a dual exhaust,
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2021 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TM_Fiero:

As far as I know, the 87-88 coupe fascias were the same. The rear covers were different, the 87's only had a cutout for single sided exhaust exit, where the 88 had cutouts for a dual exhaust,

I did not realize the '87's used the same nose as the '88's.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2021 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WTH https://www.ebay.com/itm/284475886838

I saw this on the mall ebay bar and thought of this thread.
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2021 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

WTH https://www.ebay.com/itm/284475886838

I saw this on the mall ebay bar and thought of this thread.

I have a blue fiero with the silver rims. Seeing that one makes me think I need to get me some black ones. I have been thinking about getting the gold version but they seem to be rare and expensive to get, black ones are a lot easier to come by.

Also I used this thread to buy touch up paint from "the auto paint depot," and idk if i did it wrong or something but it does not have the same shine or even shade as the original paint. But I guess its better then seeing the black underneath.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock