A/C conversion success! by sledcaddie
Started on: 08-10-2021 01:32 PM
Replies: 7 (571 views)
Last post by: Will on 08-27-2021 01:51 PM
sledcaddie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2021 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally! The shop that was doing my A/C conversion was able to diagnose the problem of the radiator fan staying on all the time.

The fan would not be running until the system was charged with freon. Then, it would run continuously, even with the A/C off. The issue was the compressor switch on the backside of the compressor. He had tried 3 other switches (different brands) with the same results of the fan continuing to run. Finally, he used the FourSeasons switch, and the fan only runs when the A/C is on Max, or the temperature sensor reaches a high enough temp to trigger the fan.

I hope this helps anyone else who has had troubles during A/C conversions. Thanks to all on Pennock's whose input helped us down the road to solving this issue. My Fiero is BACK!

Attached is a photo of the parts box for the compressor switch that worked properly.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2021 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wrong fan switch, makes sense. Any idea what incorrect one was in there previously? The one for the V5 compressor?
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2021 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only one I can remember is a switch from NAPA. I don't know the manufacturer of the switch.

The others were Santech and AC Delco. You would think that the GM part would work correctly. Guess not.

[This message has been edited by sledcaddie (edited 08-11-2021).]

J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2021 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You state

fan only runs when the A/C is on Max
. I believe it should come on in Normal and Bi-Level, or there is something wrong with my car.

Jack
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2021 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fan will come on continuously when MAX is selected. When Bi-LEVEL or NORMAL are selected, the fan will come on when the engine temperature reaches a set temperature, usually 190-200 degrees or above.
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2021 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year is the car?

Jack
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2021 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This recent one that was converted is an 88 GT.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2021 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you install a Variable Orifice Valve?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock