84 se bogs when accelerating by katie80
Started on: 07-30-2021 10:58 AM
Replies: 14 (279 views)
Last post by: katie80 on 08-02-2021 05:28 PM
katie80

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2021 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katie80Send a Private Message to katie80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my 84 4 spd 2.5l does a weird thing when I accelerate. in first gear, the engine chugs hard for a bit then revs up as high as it should based on where the pedal is and I accelerate like normal. in second, it does the same thing, sometimes when it does this it feels like the engine stalled (lurching and whatnot). it does the same weird rev thing in third and fourth but it's just a hesitation in those gears. the fuel injector and fuel pressure regulator are new and it has a new fuel filter on it. what could it be? it didn't do this before (like a month ago.)

edit: it was the pump. I should've known since the pressure dropped when being revved with no load, even if it was only a little. the problem is completely fixed.

[This message has been edited by katie80 (edited 08-04-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
katie80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2021 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katie80Send a Private Message to katie80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd also like to add this is not a constant thing. it seems to be only when it is up to operating temp, after like 10 minutes of driving.
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2021 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katie80:

I'd also like to add this is not a constant thing. it seems to be only when it is up to operating temp, after like 10 minutes of driving.

Its most likely a spark issue. check your timing, and then give the distributer a refresh (new o-rings, new ICM, new pickup coil, new spindle thing and new cap). Also only use ac delco.

I had a lot of chugging on my car, and the problem ended up being that my massive exhaust leak on the headers made the afr wrong, so its worth checking if you have an exhaust leak.

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 07-30-2021).]

katie80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2021 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katie80Send a Private Message to katie80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to add again. I took it on the highway and it was ok til like 60 mph and wouldn't go any higher, it actually slowed the car to like 50 mph. the check engine light came on and it was bogging bad. I got off the highway and it would not accelerate anywhere past 1/4 throttle. the check engine light was not on anymore when I got home so I couldn't check it. thoughts?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2021 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your latest post sounds like a plugged cat. However, the other symptoms mentioned earlier might've contributed to its demise.

So in other words, make sure the engine is running properly before a new cat is installed (if the old one is indeed plugged).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-30-2021).]

Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2021 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd like to add again. I took it on the highway and it was ok til like 60 mph and wouldn't go any higher, it actually slowed the car to like 50 mph. the check engine light came on and it was bogging bad. I got off the highway and it would not accelerate anywhere past 1/4 throttle. the check engine light was not on anymore when I got home so I couldn't check it. thoughts?

Unless you've disconnected the battery, any codes that turned on the Check Engine light will still be in the memory of the ECM and can be retrieved easily.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Porsche 928S4
1987 Corvette
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Van's RV-6 airplane

katie80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2021 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katie80Send a Private Message to katie80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodrv6:

Unless you've disconnected the battery, any codes that turned on the Check Engine light will still be in the memory of the ECM and can be retrieved easily.

I didn't even think about that. code 44. the internet has me thinking bad fuel pump. it bogs under hard acceleration and at high revs so I imagine it'd be a fuel pressure issue from the pump. I've had 3 fuel pressure regulators (the original, a replacement in the new fuel meter I bought because I screwed up the original, and the replacement.) the car sat from 2005 til I bought it earlier this year. probably super varnished. never checked it out. worst part is I have a full tank of gas right now. I'll just pump it into my other car using the pump.
katie80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2021 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katie80Send a Private Message to katie80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katie80

116 posts
Member since Feb 2021

Originally posted by Patrick:

Your latest post sounds like a plugged cat. However, the other symptoms mentioned earlier might've contributed to its demise.

So in other words, make sure the engine is running properly before a new cat is installed (if the old one is indeed plugged).

what would cause a clogged cat anyway? I know it's been blown out since I bought the car. I'm thinking fuel pump since I have a lean fuel code and it sat in bad gas for a long time.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2021 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

what would cause a clogged cat anyway?

If for example, an engine is misfiring and/or running rich, the cat innards can melt/disintegrate/breakup and plug the cat's exit pipe.

I'm thinking fuel pump since I have a lean fuel code and it sat in bad gas for a long time.

Although it's not as simple to test as with the 2.8, it would tell you a lot to know what the fuel pressure actually is.

I've had "bogging" issues with my '84 in the past. Here is a thread documenting my experiences.
katie80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2021 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katie80Send a Private Message to katie80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Although it's not as simple to test as with the 2.8, it would tell you a lot to know what the fuel pressure actually is.

I've had "bogging" issues with my '84 in the past. Here is a thread documenting my experiences.

since it's a lean fuel condition, I imagine there's a problem in the fuel tank. the engine doesnt like to be revved high at all or rev up fast. if it was an ignition or a timing issue I would imagine the issue would be different. I would be surprised if the fuel pump is still good and that hose in your posts fell off or something. I think the pump is original. I'm gonna try to drop the tank tomorrow, I'll just drain the tank using the pump into my other car. shouldn't be too hard, right? (I should've bought a car with less rust...)
katie80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2021 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katie80Send a Private Message to katie80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

so I actually did a bit more testing, turns out I had a small vacuum leak, plugged it back in and drove it. drove fine for about 10 minutes but gave me the same code again. got a fuel pressure tester. it's at a solid 11 psi (dips a little when I rev the engine though). is that a good reading?
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2021 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

got a fuel pressure tester. it's at a solid 11 psi (dips a little when I rev the engine though). is that a good reading?

Specs call for 9-13 psi. How low does it dip?

katie80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2021 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katie80Send a Private Message to katie80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Specs call for 9-13 psi. How low does it dip?

only to around 10, nothing major. I just set my ignition timing to 8* as it calls for in the Haynes manual. it wasn't super off but it's correct now. same problem. it doesn't hesitate so much as it bucks now. I step on the gas at all and it just lurches and bucks. it'll only accelerate if I press gently on the gas pedal.
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2021 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

only to around 10, nothing major. I just set my ignition timing to 8* as it calls for in the Haynes manual. it wasn't super off but it's correct now. same problem. it doesn't hesitate so much as it bucks now. I step on the gas at all and it just lurches and bucks. it'll only accelerate if I press gently on the gas pedal.

not sure if its the same way on the 4 cylinder fieros, but for the 6 cylinders you need to ground the diagnostics port and the car needs to be warmed up. Did you do this?
katie80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2021 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katie80Send a Private Message to katie80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xenoblast:

not sure if its the same way on the 4 cylinder fieros, but for the 6 cylinders you need to ground the diagnostics port and the car needs to be warmed up. Did you do this?

it is the same way, I followed the instructions on the decklid sticker.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock