Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  EGR Solenoid Easy Economical Replacement (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
EGR Solenoid Easy Economical Replacement by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 07-11-2021 08:51 PM
Replies: 71 (2718 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 07-20-2022 09:55 AM
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2021 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, that little looped vacuum line can be a hard to find cause. My first 85 threw a trouble code within 10 miles of the seller's house. At the time I knew nothing about Fieros and bought a Haynes manual before I got home. That was in the days before Pennocks and I was on a newsgroup called AltAutosFiero. Someone suggested looking at that line. The little soft rubber connector had rotted, becoming porous, and the tube had a tiny crack in it. Replaced the whole thing with a piece of vinyl tubing from my daughter's fish tank supplies. No more problem.
IP: Logged
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2021 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:

While corrosion on copper windings is common defect, a sticking spring/block-off plate is also common, and of course a break in the tiny vacuum line to sensor is popular.

I assumed easy fixes like the vacuum line would be repaired rather than replacing the $$$ part.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2021 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I bought one. The cover pops off of the solenoid. The cover holds some potted circuitry. The two outside pins pass through that circuitry and onto the solenoid itself.

So

For this two work the connector would at least have to be rewired to put the solenoid wires on the two outside wires.

In the potted circuitry is a flyback diode.

There is no plumbing for the switch. No vacuum line that runs to a switch.

Thus this solenoid can not work as a 2.8 Fiero solenoid. Not unless the switch is plumbed in and wired in.
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2021 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

So I bought one. The cover pops off of the solenoid. The cover holds some potted circuitry. The two outside pins pass through that circuitry and onto the solenoid itself.

So

For this two work the connector would at least have to be rewired to put the solenoid wires on the two outside wires.

In the potted circuitry is a flyback diode.

There is no plumbing for the switch. No vacuum line that runs to a switch.

Thus this solenoid can not work as a 2.8 Fiero solenoid. Not unless the switch is plumbed in and wired in.

Are you talking about the open closed switch to tell the ECU if the solenoid has opened or closed? The newer solenoid should be using a simple open closed based on position to detect that unlike the over complicated way the old solenoid used to do it. This means the center pins should open and close depending on the state of the solenoid just like the old solenoid would on pressure changes. The type of switch should not matter as long as the ecu is getting the proper feedback when it opens and closes. Unfortunately you will no longer throw a code unless the unit fails vs you would throw one with a big enough vacuum leak.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2021 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Again, it can't be a pressure/ vacuum switch without being connected to a pressure/ vacuum line.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-08-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2021 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again, it can't be a pressure/ vacuum switch without being connected to a pressure/ vacuum line.

You really don't need the switch. Easy fix. Just connect the ECM lead that normally goes to Pin C the vacuum switch to ground. You may need a pull up resistor but that will shut off the code. The EGR solenoid will still function perfectly (it only needs two wires) as long as it receives the PWM signal from the ECM.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2021 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is this hole here not a passage to the vacuum? (sorry cant tell from the pics)
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Are you saying the 2 center pins are not connected?

Can you post a couple more pics of the insides?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2021 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The vacuum lines are set up similar to our stock solenoid. The two nipples are connected to the intake/throttle body and the EGR valve. Our solenoid uses a supply line coming from the air filter canister. This solenoid has an internal filter under what looks like a large knob, seen on the opposite end from the two vacuum ports. The port skywurz highlights doesn't appear to connect to anything in the second image. I don't know what year and model phonedawgz specified for the solenoid, but it has the same number as the one I have for an 86 and 87 Grand National Turbo.

It will still be a bit before I'm able to install and test. Surgery coming up Tuesday.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 08-08-2021).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2021 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:
Is this hole here not a passage to the vacuum? (sorry cant tell from the pics)
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Are you saying the 2 center pins are not connected?

Can you post a couple more pics of the insides?

No, there is no vacuum line running from the solenoid to the rectangle box with the electronics. Of the two center pins, one shows 2kΩ to one of the side pins, the other shows open. I did apply 12v to the solenoid and checked the center pins again but they showed the same.

While I don't hold the GM engineers in too high of esteem (they did leave the temp gauge/temp light miswired for 5 years), I do believe they put the vacuum switch in there for a reason. That being there are two times the switch would read open that might be important. The first is at idle/near idle when the ported vacuum is yet to produce vacuum. The second would be during failure of the solenoid. For the ECM to think the system is applying vacuum and the EGR valve is open, that would also mean the ECM is advancing the timing when it should not. And this could lead to detonation and piston failure. I don't think hotwiring the EGR vacuum switch in a closed position is a good idea.

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2021 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same engine same ECM, more or less same egr setup, different vehicle ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The VS6 is what GM designed and used for most other 2.8l v6s
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2021 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

Same engine same ECM, more or less same egr setup, different vehicle ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The VS6 is what GM designed and used for most other 2.8l v6s

Hard to say why they made the Fiero EGR control valve differenly.
PFF
System Bot
Skybax

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2021 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Surgery coming up Tuesday.

Best of luck for a smooth process.

Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2021 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Skybax

2384 posts
Member since Jun 2003

While I don't hold the GM engineers in too high of esteem (they did leave the temp gauge/temp light miswired for 5 years), I do believe they put the vacuum switch in there for a reason. That being there are two times the switch would read open that might be important. The first is at idle/near idle when the ported vacuum is yet to produce vacuum. The second would be during failure of the solenoid. For the ECM to think the system is applying vacuum and the EGR valve is open, that would also mean the ECM is advancing the timing when it should not. And this could lead to detonation and piston failure. I don't think hotwiring the EGR vacuum switch in a closed position is a good idea.

Well said.
traceymac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2021 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for traceymacSend a Private Message to traceymacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what is the correct wiring for splicing in s-10 plugs, all wires are white on new pigtail, thank you
Forrest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2021 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ForrestSend a Private Message to ForrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Based on the picture above....it looks like you don't even need the connector. Just use the old connector but run some wires to the new solenoid? The Solenoid in my was wrecked...rusted solid.

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 08-31-2021).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2021 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From looking at what phonedawgs took apart and the original wiring id say with the wires of the plug facing you and the clip for the plug on top you would go from Solenoid, Solenoid, Sensor, Sensor ----> to Solenoid, Sensor, Sensor, Solenoid. but that's a guess. We are also speculating that the conductivity on the center sensor pins changes depending on the level of vacuum as to tell the ECU the EGR is switching. There is a lot of unknowns
Forrest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2022 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ForrestSend a Private Message to ForrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found an alternative to pigtail PT1136 which is $40
This $6 one fits perfectly....
64021 Alternator Plug Connector Fits Delco / GM CS130D, AD230, AD237 & AD244
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384408710501

Rjberner46

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2022 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rjberner46Send a Private Message to Rjberner46Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So has anyone successfully installed the new EGR solenoid from the s10?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2022 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided not to do it until the correct pinning order was determined.
Forrest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2022 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ForrestSend a Private Message to ForrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went ahead and broke it down all the way. The solenoid is virtually the same. No reason this solenoid cannot be modified to work with the existing sensor.
Just need a T in the vacuum line from what I can tell.

New on top old on bottom.

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 02-15-2022).]

Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2022 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool, I like where this is going.
PFF
System Bot
Forrest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2022 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ForrestSend a Private Message to ForrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:

Very cool, I like where this is going.

I am going to swing by Oriellys after work and see if I can pick up some vacuum lines and Ts.

Plan is:
Cut the existing long since rusted solid Solenoid off the original plug/sensor assembly
Run the wires through the two holes where the posts plug in to the S10 Solenoid (Need to be drilled out a bit) and solder them in place
Reassemble the solenoid part of the new S10 EGR. The plug and electronics are not needed....seems they are incompatible.

Remove the rubber piece off of the vacuum lines
Patch the larger line with a piece of tubing into the solenoid
Put a T into the smaller line and plug one end into the solenoid...the other into the sensor

Whatever it ends up being I am sure it will be ugly....for a lot of us though we just want it to work.

I will keep yall posted.
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2022 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's good to know that EGR codes are set at highway speeds. Every once in a while, my check engine light will come on, but it is usually after I have been driving on the freeway and it's always the same code, the one most common to the Fiero, the EGR problem. I was wondering why. When I drive around town, no light, but hit the freeway and it comes on every once in a while. This explains why... Thanks...

Originally posted by fierofool:

Just in my initial appraisal, I think the replacement could be bolted to the original bracket with its existing bolt. It's pretty much confgured for connections like our original, so nothing should be seriously out of place.

For a check engine light at testing, try a similar tactic my father in law used when he was trading for a new truck. His old car had a bad transmission that would only slip once it got warmed up really good. He parked it on the street near the dealership on the night before. Next day his son took him down and he drove the car into the dealership. Their test drive was uneventful and he made the trade for the new truck.

Just clear the ECM before driving into the test center since EGR codes aren't set except during highway driving speeds.

Forrest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2022 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ForrestSend a Private Message to ForrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what I put together so far. One thing I noticed is since I installed this the alarm triggers more frequently (Not just a highway speeds). My EGR valve does not hold vacuum so my thinking is that with a working solenoid/sensor this is triggering the alarm.
I never even checked it before.
After I replace the egr valve I imagine the alarm will clear. Once I see that I will clean up the installation. If we can narrow this down to just replacing the solenoid we may be able to find a cheaper donor part. I think I spent $80 on mine....kinda a lot just to tear it apart for the solenoid.
If there is any interest Ill write up a full how to thread.
I tested the solenoid both ways so polarity does not seem to matter.

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 02-20-2022).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2022 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good work so far! Im still wondering what the other 2 wires on the replacement assembly do. Im still holding out hope for a simpler solution.
I can see the 2 holes the removing of the new solenoid sending unit left where the power posts passed through. Was their a 3rd hole somewhere in the body? Here perhaps?
I was expecting to see a molded air passage in the solenoid body that passed to the sending unit.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 02-20-2022).]

Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2022 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to bump this to the top to see if there was any progress over the past month.
Forrest

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2022 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ForrestSend a Private Message to ForrestEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been running it since I made it. Now as soon as the car reaches temp it throws the error.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2022 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Did this on a customer car not mine years back. Misplaced the notes and my 60* V6 that has a good solenoid has been in mothballs for quite a while.
The pin outs on the Fiero EGR solenoid are :
A. Ignition 12V
B PWM ground signal supplied by the ECM
C. vacuum switch signal that sets the trouble code
D. Ground
Is that what you have found?
They should be exactly the same on the later GM EGR solenoids. Just got to find the S-10 pin diagram and confirm. BTW, are you ready to try the conversion? I understand that California will not allow it.

Hey, Dennis. Were you able to confirm the pinout on the '88 V6 S-10 EGR solenoid is the same as the pinout on the V6 Fiero?
tnkgnr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2022 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tnkgnrSend a Private Message to tnkgnrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the vacuum switch on these seems to last (I had two solenoids with good switches, but bad windings), I went looking for the cheapest EGR solenoid I could find. Found one used in several Mazda vehicles and bought it new for $9. It has two ports - one to vacuum, and the other to EGR. I just put a T connection in the line to EGR and piped it to the EGR solenoid vacuum switch we have, then soldered the two wires to it. I've only done about 50 miles of varied driving since, but no code 32 yet.

ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2022 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tnkgnr:

Since the vacuum switch on these seems to last (I had two solenoids with good switches, but bad windings), I went looking for the cheapest EGR solenoid I could find. Found one used in several Mazda vehicles and bought it new for $9. It has two ports - one to vacuum, and the other to EGR. I just put a T connection in the line to EGR and piped it to the EGR solenoid vacuum switch we have, then soldered the two wires to it. I've only done about 50 miles of varied driving since, but no code 32 yet.

that's fairly exciting. Let us know exactly which solenoid it was, and how things have progressed with more driving.
tnkgnr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2022 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tnkgnrSend a Private Message to tnkgnrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ArthurPeale:

that's fairly exciting. Let us know exactly which solenoid it was, and how things have progressed with more driving.

Falls under these part numbers:
911-707, 226874, EVS189, KL0118741, FS0518741, Kl01-18-741, Kl0118741, K5T49051, 911707, K5T49099, K5T49091

I don't really have any idea if it's working or not, since I didn't get code 32 very often before anyways - so I don't want to give false hope. Just offering this up as another idea for a potentially cheap ghetto solution.

PFF
System Bot
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2022 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tnkgnr:

Thanks for posting this. If you can remember I'd love to hear an update in a few months.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock