GPS input to speedometer by DonandCallie
Started on: 06-21-2021 01:23 AM
Replies: 2 (107 views)
Last post by: theogre on 06-21-2021 11:39 AM
DonandCallie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2021 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DonandCallieSend a Private Message to DonandCallieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello. I'm installing an Intellitronics GPS unit to drive the speedometer in my 88. According to the wiring diagrams I've found, I believe I should clip the brown wire going to C1 in the cluster and attach the output wire from the GPS unit to it. I see there are VSS high and low inputs as well. Any help is appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2021 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum!

Why do you want to drive the speedo with the GPS? What is the issue you are trying to resolve?

The brown wire from the speedo cluster is the VSS output to the ECM.
If the purpose is to drive the speedo with the VSS signal, then you likely want to connect it to the VSS HI (Yellow) wire at the 203 connector in the console area by the ecm. If a Fiero VSS sensor (or other GM VSS Sensor from the same era) is not supplying a signal, you almost always need to install a speedo circuit to change the signal format to one the FIero Speedo can interpret.

You probably need to make this circuit and use the GPS output signal as the ECM output signal in the picture.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2021 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GPS to drive any speedo will cause problems and maybe legal problems when car is sold etc.
Consumer GPS speed and distances often isn't reliable, either short term, long term or both, no matter what hype is pushed to sell them.
Dash Speedo and it's Oddo can be wrong and car sold like that but must be reported as Unknown Miles.
That kills value to sell a car. If isn't reported then can be sued by buyer and/or state can come after you.

If not careful, GPS will kill the car battery when car is off.

VSS drives the Speedo that drives the ECM. ECM can/will trip DTC 24 not seeing speed "data" but may not set the code and still cause problems.
ECM Can Not be driven by VSS w/ above method. ECM uses 2000 Pulse/Mile but VSS output is 4000 P/M.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock