Reversed AC Pump? by skywurz
Started on: 06-19-2021 09:28 PM
Replies: 3 (140 views)
Last post by: skywurz on 06-20-2021 04:04 PM
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2021 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So last Aug I put AC back in my 87 l4 5spd. I did not have the right lines so i did some jerry rigging. Well it worked. At first I had issues with hooking the system up backwards but because i had jerry rigged stuff i was not too shocked.

Today I now have OEM lines to replace the damaged/missing ones. I spent the day swapping them out and vacuumed the system and charged it. The Low side went off the guage and started blowing hot just like when i reversed things before. However there is no way lines are reversed.

Is it possible i have a reversed pump?

<---- Front

The only thing that makes any sense is the pump is wrong.

Ideas???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok so this one is ooodles of fun.

in 1987 GM swapped to a serpentine belt on the 2.5l Duke They swapped AC compressors and the AC line from the pump to the chassis as well.

here is the back of a 1987 V5 AC compressor

Notice the discharge port on the left to the front of the car.

here is the back of the 85-86 V5 pump with the Vbelt

Notice the discharge port on the right to the rear of the car.

So this being said the compressor to chassis line i pulled from an 85 will not work right it will be backwards

See this 87-88 l4 hose

The muffler is attached to the side that will hook to the discharge port. As you can see if you were to flip this line to its proper orientation the muffler would be to the left to the front of the car....
#@$%#@##@

So i have proven i have the correct pump for my year and why its F ed up. Now the quest for a proper l4 87-88 compressor to chassis AC line.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to have my lines cut and welded at the manifold connector, due to a motor mount revision/interference. (4.9 engine).
This was done at an A/C shop. I just carried the hose assembly in to the shop.
Or you might be able to have the hoses replaced and re-crimped, with the manifold in the correct orientation. (Just be sure it will still bolt to the compressor, with no interference with anything else. See my first comment.) Both can be done fairly reasonably.
You might consider doing that, if you cant find a correct set of lines at a reasonable price.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-20-2021).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I had to have my lines cut and welded at the manifold connector, due to a motor mount revision/interference. (4.9 engine).
This was done at an A/C shop. I just carried the hose assembly in to the shop.
Or you might be able to have the hoses replaced and re-crimped, with the manifold in the correct orientation. (Just be sure it will still bolt to the compressor, with no interference with anything else. See my first comment.) Both can be done fairly reasonably.
You might consider doing that, if you cant find a correct set of lines at a reasonable price.

This is more or less what I did today. Except I used easy clips and recycled the barbs I had for the Jerry rigging i did on the other lines.

Vacuumed down for 5 min let it sit for 10 min charged with 24oz + a can of stip leak with about 1oz of freon.

Ambient temp

Vent temp

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 06-20-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock