Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Signal/Running Light Lamp Issue - Both Filaments are on, doesn't blink

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Signal/Running Light Lamp Issue - Both Filaments are on, doesn't blink by CZSeventyFive
Started on: 06-18-2021 07:53 PM
Replies: 3 (483 views)
Last post by: Sledgehammer on 07-19-2021 04:04 PM
CZSeventyFive

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2021 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CZSeventyFiveSend a Private Message to CZSeventyFiveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Potentially interesting electrical issue now: The driver side lamp for the nose running lamp/left turn signal, when you turn the lights on, will turn both filaments in the bulb on. As such, the blinker doesn't blink, rather, it's just on. When I first encountered this issue the filament for the blinker (and I apologize if I'm getting this terminology wrong) wasn't on at all, and still didn't blink. Notably, even when the lights are off, the bulb still doesn't blink.

My first decision was to simply replace the bulb. But then that just brought on the entire bulb being lit at all times, both the blinker and the running light part, and still fail to blink. I bought a new receptacle, thinking the current one may be faulting, but I didn't install it, being warned that it could be a wiring issue elsewhere in the car (and that I should not make new splices in existing wires if it isn't necessary to do so). Problem is, where do I even begin to look? Could it be the bulb socket/receptacle? Wiring? Something else?

A few notes: In another thread I mentioned installing new tail lights. On the off chance someone asks about that or remembers that, let me say these issues existed before that LED conversion. Secondly, the previous owner had installed underlighting, but uninstalled before selling it. A lot of the wiring is still there under the car, however. He claimed it wasn't hooked up anymore, but I haven't thoroughly checked it, to be honest. Possible interference perhaps?

Appreciate any answers, thank you.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2021 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely Ground problems.
See my Cave, Sneak Path and Lighbulbs

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Eliredandblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2021 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EliredandblackSend a Private Message to EliredandblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I changed the front amber parking/turn signal bulbs to LEDs. This caused the side markers not to come on. I went back to the 1988 Service Manual wiring schematic and observed that the parking/turn signal bulb wires run through the side markers (I believe this is so the side markers blink when the turn signal is active). I didn’t want to start running new wires, so reinstalled the amber parking/turn signal bulbs.
Sledgehammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2021 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SledgehammerSend a Private Message to SledgehammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CZ,

Does your Hazzard warning flash all bulbs? I had similar problem, replaced bulb, socket. Only when I replaced the turn signal flasher Which I believe is same as hazard flasher but different circuitry inside flasher, then everything worked properly.

Sledgehammer

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock