3800sc passenger axle problems by NIT WIT
Started on: 06-10-2021 06:33 AM
Replies: 9 (235 views)
Last post by: TXGOOD on 08-12-2021 09:08 PM
NIT WIT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NIT WITSend a Private Message to NIT WITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

87 and a 4t65e-hd with Roger’s mounts
The 3800 axle is way too long and I put together last night a manual driver’s axle and it’s questionable on the depth of the tripod

Is there any axle that’s a medium between these two??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
been a very long time since I did my auto swap, but the passenger side needs to be a Frankenstein'd
pretty sure I used the donor (grandprix) drivers side axle.

So it goes something like:
Fiero outer >> GP Passenger outer cage and bearings >> GP Drivers Axle >> GP Drivers tripod & bearings

don't hold me to it though

[This message has been edited by ignorant prodigy (edited 06-10-2021).]

NIT WIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NIT WITSend a Private Message to NIT WITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That’s the axle that was used and it had the tripod buried against the bottom of the 3800 cup rubbing the balls against it ☹️
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done a few automatic swaps and reusing the driver side 4T65eHD axle bar on the passenger side with the Fiero tripot and tripod hasn't worked. The mounts that I used more closely centered the powertrain. The axle proved about 1" -2" too long. The swaps used the same size axle on both trans sides. Its been a while but IIRC it was from a Pontiac 6000. Measure up and go online to get the right side axle.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

NIT WIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NIT WITSend a Private Message to NIT WITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I've done a few automatic swaps and reusing the driver side 4T65eHD axle bar on the passenger side with the Fiero tripot and tripod hasn't worked. The mounts that I used more closely centered the powertrain. The axle proved about 1" -2" too long. The swaps used the same size axle on both trans sides. Its been a while but IIRC it was from a Pontiac 6000. Measure up and go online to get the right side axle.

I read back in a post that 1993 Pontiac Transport axle works too
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2021 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NIT WIT:

I read back in a post that 1993 Pontiac Transport axle works too

My error the 6000 axle was used on my 4.9L swap Correcttion

These are drivers side axles compressed length:

1995 Beretta 20 1/4" (both sides) Manual or auto
02-04 Cavalier 3800 auto or manual 21 3/16" (both sides)
1998 Lumina auto 20 3/8"
1995 Transport Van auto 20 1/4"
The Grand prix 3800 driver side axle that you are trying to use is 21 7/8" compressed. Just use the Transport or Beretta and your should be OK. Its most likely direct fit

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

NIT WIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2021 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NIT WITSend a Private Message to NIT WITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1998 Lumina auto 20 3/8"
The Grand prix 3800 driver side axle that you are trying to use is 21 7/8" compressed. Just use the Transport or Beretta and your should be OK. Its most likely direct fit

NIT WIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2021 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NIT WITSend a Private Message to NIT WITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NIT WIT

40 posts
Member since Apr 2019

1998 Lumina auto 20 3/8"

That’s awesome. Those are the measurements I really needed
Thanks Dennis 👍👍👍👍
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2021 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NIT WIT:

That’s awesome. Those are the measurements I really needed
Thanks Dennis 👍👍👍👍

Glad to be of assistance. I define the whole purpose of this hobby as sharing your experiences with others and making friends. If you can't do that then the hobby becomes useless. .

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2021 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I`m having a problem on the passenger side. I got axles with a set-up 3800 already on the cradle.
The trans, I believe from what I have read is a non-hd as it has no roller bearings in the diff end.
I believe the mounts used maybe from WCF but I`m not sure where the axles came from.
The one on the drivers side looks like it will work ok but the one on the passenger side it fits into the diff and it fits
into the Fiero hub.
The problem seems to be it`s just a bit too long.
Basically, if I compressed it all of the way it may fit between the diff and the back face of the knuckle but I don`t think
there would be any play.
When you level suspension (88) with the axle in line with the diff (being in it`s most compressed state, how much play should it have?
In other words if I pull the knuckle out, install the axle and slide the hub over the splined part of the axle but not install the nut how much
play should the axle have when pushed toward the diff.
I would think at least maybe 1/2"

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock