3800sc passenger axle problems by NIT WIT
Started on: 06-10-2021 06:33 AM
Replies: 8 (83 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 06-11-2021 05:30 PM
NIT WIT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NIT WITClick Here to Email NIT WITSend a Private Message to NIT WITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

87 and a 4t65e-hd with Roger’s mounts
The 3800 axle is way too long and I put together last night a manual driver’s axle and it’s questionable on the depth of the tripod

Is there any axle that’s a medium between these two??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigyClick Here to Email ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
been a very long time since I did my auto swap, but the passenger side needs to be a Frankenstein'd
pretty sure I used the donor (grandprix) drivers side axle.

So it goes something like:
Fiero outer >> GP Passenger outer cage and bearings >> GP Drivers Axle >> GP Drivers tripod & bearings

don't hold me to it though

[This message has been edited by ignorant prodigy (edited 06-10-2021).]

NIT WIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NIT WITClick Here to Email NIT WITSend a Private Message to NIT WITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That’s the axle that was used and it had the tripod buried against the bottom of the 3800 cup rubbing the balls against it ☹️
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done a few automatic swaps and reusing the driver side 4T65eHD axle bar on the passenger side with the Fiero tripot and tripod hasn't worked. The mounts that I used more closely centered the powertrain. The axle proved about 1" -2" too long. The swaps used the same size axle on both trans sides. Its been a while but IIRC it was from a Pontiac 6000. Measure up and go online to get the right side axle.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

NIT WIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NIT WITClick Here to Email NIT WITSend a Private Message to NIT WITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I've done a few automatic swaps and reusing the driver side 4T65eHD axle bar on the passenger side with the Fiero tripot and tripod hasn't worked. The mounts that I used more closely centered the powertrain. The axle proved about 1" -2" too long. The swaps used the same size axle on both trans sides. Its been a while but IIRC it was from a Pontiac 6000. Measure up and go online to get the right side axle.

I read back in a post that 1993 Pontiac Transport axle works too
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2021 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NIT WIT:

I read back in a post that 1993 Pontiac Transport axle works too

My error the 6000 axle was used on my 4.9L swap Correcttion

These are drivers side axles compressed length:

1995 Beretta 20 1/4" (both sides) Manual or auto
02-04 Cavalier 3800 auto or manual 21 3/16" (both sides)
1998 Lumina auto 20 3/8"
1995 Transport Van auto 20 1/4"
The Grand prix 3800 driver side axle that you are trying to use is 21 7/8" compressed. Just use the Transport or Beretta and your should be OK. Its most likely direct fit

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

NIT WIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2021 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NIT WITClick Here to Email NIT WITSend a Private Message to NIT WITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1998 Lumina auto 20 3/8"
The Grand prix 3800 driver side axle that you are trying to use is 21 7/8" compressed. Just use the Transport or Beretta and your should be OK. Its most likely direct fit

NIT WIT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2021 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NIT WITClick Here to Email NIT WITSend a Private Message to NIT WITEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NIT WIT

15 posts
Member since Apr 2019

1998 Lumina auto 20 3/8"

That’s awesome. Those are the measurements I really needed
Thanks Dennis 👍👍👍👍
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2021 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NIT WIT:

That’s awesome. Those are the measurements I really needed
Thanks Dennis 👍👍👍👍

Glad to be of assistance. I define the whole purpose of this hobby as sharing your experiences with others and making friends. If you can't do that then the hobby becomes useless. .

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock