brake cores by swing69
Started on: 06-08-2021 10:49 AM
Replies: 11 (237 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 06-10-2021 07:34 PM
swing69

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2021 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swing69Send a Private Message to swing69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to buy calipers, pay the core, and get the refund when the cores were turned in. Front were not a problem....the rear were, sort of. They did have a RR, but didn't have a LR.

I finally bought a core LR and sent it to them to be rebuilt. Once I received it back......I installed all 4 calipers at the same time. I then returned the LF, RF, RR cores and sold them my LR outright.

I don't understand hording cores, unless you have several 88s, you want to corner the market on cores, or you just like having a spare set. I figure; Once I install 4 good calipers....I'm set for the next 30 yrs, and at that point, I'll be long gone....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2021 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. Many buy parts online and find shipping cores can cost same or more then core charge.
2. Many buy and simply don't bother even to return cores locally.
3. Many old parts sold no longer want a core because many don't want to rebuild them. IOW they're "On Clearance" by maker/rebuilder or a 3rd party that bought the inventory.

You think brakes will work for 30 years? Not likely. Be luck if last 10 years.
Brake calipers can have problems for many reasons as normal. More so if parts are installed poorly or wrong. Rear brakes for Fiero and others w/ same setup have more problems.
Even w/ "Recall Pistons" that GM made have same problems... (You can't get them now.)
I know this because have "Recall Pistons" installed years ago during brake restore... And Failed Inspection this year. Drove around the DMV to a safe area, Pulled P-brake lever and release and push pedal hard a few times, then Retest and Passed.

Still have issues because can pull the P-brake lever to the max now.
I think 1 cal is still stuck and have too much pad clearance. Yet doesn't have low pedal problem often goes w/ that.
Maybe the cables stretched a bit too.
Too hot to bother right now.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2021 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Many buy parts online and find shipping cores can cost same or more then core charge.

For sure. Just recently I bought a remanufactured 105 Amp ACDelco alternator for my Formula. Even with shipping from the States to Canada, the total price from RockAuto was great. The core charge was just $5. Believe me, it would've cost a heckuva lot more than five bucks to ship my dead alternator from Canada back to RockAuto in the States. So yeah, I'm "hording" cores.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-08-2021).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2021 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been an 88 only guy for 15+ years and during that time I have purchased several (maybe 5) 88 parts cars just to create a spare parts stash of the many 88 specific parts. During that same time I have also put 150K+ miles on various 88 fieros using them as 3 season daily drivers, as well a beating on them with 3+ times the stock HP. My ongoing maintenance needs are much different than someone who puts 500 miles a year on their 88, so I have always planned accordingly.

I don't normally sell items from my parts stash, but some of my very best customers have talked me out of some parts they really needed over the years.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2021 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I don't normally sell items from my parts stash, but some of my very best customers have talked me out of some parts they really needed over the years.

Hot diggity dog! Thanks for letting us know.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2021 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bottom line is to save your cores. Few shops are rebuilding them right now and in a few years Fiero brake calipers may no longer be available. Even the slim existing supply, possibly having been rebuilt too many times is now suspect. Brake caliper swaps may be required in the future. Maybe Wilwood has a direct bolt in unit.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to pursue that. I have the hub off the car and Wilwood is only a few hours away. Maybe I can get something together before I have to put the hub back on the car.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just purchases some rear rebuilt calipers online from a national retailer, received them the next day, brought the cores back the day to a local retail store the same day without any issues.

Though it was for the 84-87 calipers.

I did check other retailers. NAPA has the Total Eclipse series that are supposedly has a special coating on them, they didn't have one side of the rear calipers in stock and their core charge was well over $100 per caliper.

The calipers I did buy had a $35 core charge, and were $55 a piece.

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 06-10-2021).]

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Earlier calipers aren't a problem...'88s are the issue. They are very expensive and increasingly hard to find.
swing69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for swing69Send a Private Message to swing69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM has other models that use the ebrake/piston set up. Y the hey are popular with old drum to disk conversions on street rods. I bet an adapter mount would be all it takes to mount them to a Fiero
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, but substituting a twenty year old caliper for a thirty year old caliper doesn't make huge sense to me, and *generally* most cars started switching to drum-in-disk parking brakes about twenty years ago. I'd favor the Wilwood option simply because Wilwood has make and continues to make brand new combo brakes just for this purpose, and they aren't expensive.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by swing69:
GM has other models that use the ebrake/piston set up. Y the hey are popular with old drum to disk conversions on street rods. I bet an adapter mount would be all it takes to mount them to a Fiero

The issue is finding one with a 48mm piston.
Anything else and you start making majors shifts to brake bias.

Brakes are not something you should be haphazardly mixing and matching components.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock