TIL - Swapping the Getrag 5spd by Sundowner
Started on: 06-07-2021 01:56 PM
Replies: 1 (118 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 06-08-2021 11:56 AM
Sundowner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2021 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SundownerSend a Private Message to SundownerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My formula was a pile of parts for 6 or 7 years and I finally got it back running and on the road. I got maybe a 200 miles on the rebuilt motor and the transmission quit while backing the car out of my driveway.

Another member sold me a 5 speed from another Formula, I spent 3 hours yesterday trying to wrestle that thing on until I gave up and threw out the SOS to a buddy of mine. Comes over today, looks at it for a minute and points to a tiny little ding at the end of the input shaft, rubs it with a file for a couple of seconds, then has me help him pop the damn thing right on with zero effort.

This is why we pay mechanics, not for the time or tools... for the experience.

Now just MAYBE I have a shot at getting this thing to Carlisle this year.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2021 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sundowner:

My formula was a pile of parts for 6 or 7 years and I finally got it back running and on the road. I got maybe a 200 miles on the rebuilt motor and the transmission quit while backing the car out of my driveway.

Another member sold me a 5 speed from another Formula, I spent 3 hours yesterday trying to wrestle that thing on until I gave up and threw out the SOS to a buddy of mine. Comes over today, looks at it for a minute and points to a tiny little ding at the end of the input shaft, rubs it with a file for a couple of seconds, then has me help him pop the damn thing right on with zero effort.

This is why we pay mechanics, not for the time or tools... for the experience.

Now just MAYBE I have a shot at getting this thing to Carlisle this year.

Attention to detail is always beneficial. For instance I have a friend who was replacing his torque converter and he said the bolt holes on the flexplate would not line up with those on the converter no matter what he did. I advised him to start by just putting the first bolt into the elongated flexplate slot and then tighten loosely. After he did that the other bolts lined up. Glad to her that the job has been done.You will love Carlisle.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock