Where to get rear brake calipers for 1988 formula by Benn2002
Started on: 06-04-2021 05:00 PM
Replies: 12 (744 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 05-24-2023 06:45 PM
Benn2002

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Benn2002Send a Private Message to Benn2002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I need help sourcing 1988 brake calipers, I tried the fiero store, they don't have any in stock and I can't find any anywhere! I would like a new/rebuilt pair. Any ideas??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used Calipers Online last time (2017), but this was when it was still possible to get NOS. Looks like only remanufactered are available now.

http://calipersonline.com/pontiacfiero.aspx

Benn2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Benn2002Send a Private Message to Benn2002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_narf:

I used Calipers Online last time (2017), but this was when it was still possible to get NOS. Looks like only remanufactered are available now.

I would do it, but it looks like you have to send in yours to buy those, I don't want to send mine anywhere, I just want some remanufactured ones that I can buy, I don't care about an extra core charge.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2021 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like carparts.com has used ones at various yards. You could rebuild them or use them as cores.
Benn2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2021 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Benn2002Send a Private Message to Benn2002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daryl M:

Looks like carparts.com has used ones at various yards. You could rebuild them or use them as cores.

Well they had a rear driver's side, so I bought that, now I'm just in search of a rear passenger side one lol
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_narf:

Calipers Online never had NOS rears (just fronts)
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2021 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Benn2002:

I would do it, but it looks like you have to send in yours to buy those, I don't want to send mine anywhere, I just want some remanufactured ones that I can buy, I don't care about an extra core charge.

They're just covering their bases; so many people aren't sending in their cores for the Fiero calipers to be rebuilt that eventually they won't be able to sell them, due to no product.

This is the first I've heard about preemptive cores - but, I can't say I blame them.
Benn2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Benn2002Send a Private Message to Benn2002Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ArthurPeale:

They're just covering their bases; so many people aren't sending in their cores for the Fiero calipers to be rebuilt that eventually they won't be able to sell them, due to no product.

This is the first I've heard about preemptive cores - but, I can't say I blame them.

I totally agree and understand, but Its my only car, and can't have it down for awhile. It's what I get for dailying a fiero I guess lol. But still haven't found any! I can't even find cores to send somewhere, it's absurd.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

Calipers Online never had NOS rears (just fronts)

Your right...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2021 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Benn2002:
I totally agree and understand, but Its my only car, and can't have it down for awhile. It's what I get for dailying a fiero I guess lol. But still haven't found any! I can't even find cores to send somewhere, it's absurd.

If you need to have a rear caliper off for a while, you can swap one of the more common 88 front calipers to the rear. Bolts right on, same piston diameter (no bias issues) and it will work just like stock, but you won't have the parking brake (which might not be working anyway). Quite a few people run 88 front calipers on all 4 corners.
Shamelesscrimes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShamelesscrimesSend a Private Message to ShamelesscrimesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any possibility for upgrading our way out of this situation? I don't mind buying a set here in 2023, but if it's this hard now, imagine in 2028. I'm sure the person who originally designed the equipment was clever, but surely someone with a modern education could come up with a bracket that lets us use some ubiquitous caliper and maintain parking brake functionality?
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shamelesscrimes:

Any possibility for upgrading our way out of this situation? I don't mind buying a set here in 2023, but if it's this hard now, imagine in 2028. I'm sure the person who originally designed the equipment was clever, but surely someone with a modern education could come up with a bracket that lets us use some ubiquitous caliper and maintain parking brake functionality?

The fundamental issue is that the Fiero brake system was designed completely different than every other car on the road, including their rear brake caliper size.
The Fiero started life as a parts bin car with a Chevette front suspension in the front and a Citation front suspension moved to the rear (without rotating it 180 degrees). The calipers they chose to use at the very start were essentially the same size front/rear as they were both based on front calipers. When the 88s came along, they kept the caliper pistons the same front and rear and that is what makes the Fiero brakes different than all other cars.

Most cars run a larger piston area caliper in the front than the rear to get a gross bias adjustment. This means that nearly all rear calipers from other makes/models have a smaller piston area than the stock 88 Fiero rear caliper (48mm). You can find oodles of alternative rear calipers with parking brakes around the 38mm size, but that would cause a rear brake reduction of over 30% and no one who understands brake systems would want that.

The universe of rear brake calipers that have 48 mm pistons (or slightly larger) is very, very small. Of that group the ones with a compatible parking brake setup is infinitesimal.

I have a huge database of rotor and calipers from all makes/models and have spent hundreds of hours looking for the unicorn and haven't found something I would be happy with yet. Every couple of years I go down the rabbit hole and add more rotors and calipers to my database as new models come out every year. Maybe someday the right caliper will be made...

Until then, every 88 Fiero enthusiast should have a spare set (or two) of calipers on the shelf for future maintenance needs.

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:
The universe of rear brake calipers that have 48 mm pistons (or slightly larger) is very, very small. Of that group the ones with a compatible parking brake setup is infinitesimal.

I have a huge database of rotor and calipers from all makes/models and have spent hundreds of hours looking for the unicorn and haven't found something I would be happy with yet. Every couple of years I go down the rabbit hole and add more rotors and calipers to my database as new models come out every year. Maybe someday the right caliper will be made...

If you didn't see my banjo bolt thread, have a look at this:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/144809.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock