Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Fuel pump suddenly not working - already replaced...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fuel pump suddenly not working - already replaced... by 842m4SE
Started on: 05-11-2021 01:30 PM
Replies: 16 (320 views)
Last post by: Tony Santucci on 05-16-2021 12:46 PM
842m4SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2021 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 842m4SESend a Private Message to 842m4SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the first time yesterday I finally was able to drive my Fiero on the road - insurance and all. It was going great for a while up until the point I smelled something hot, stopped at the side of the road and turned the engine off to check it out.
Nothing was wrong, but now the car wouldn't start. I tried pop-starting it a few times, but I noticed the lack of fuel pump priming and delivery and had to get it towed home.
I checked the fuses and did a cursory inspection of the wiring and it all looks to be good, but still the fuel pump doesn't run. I had also replaced the fuel pump after getting my '84 Fiero 8 months ago.
The factory manual doesn't have much on the wiring situation or troubleshooting that I could find, so any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

[This message has been edited by 842m4SE (edited 05-11-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fishsticks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2021 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fishsticksSend a Private Message to fishsticksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let's get the basics out of the way.

There's a 3 wire connector from the fuel sender assembly that snakes up the firewall towards the main harness.

Black should show continuity to ground and tan(sometimes gray) should show 12v during initial key on (just a couple seconds for prime) and cranking.

Does your fuel gauge read correctly?

[This message has been edited by fishsticks (edited 05-11-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2021 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would check the fuel pump relay and the oil pressure sender both of which are in the current path of the fuel pump. You might first check the connector to see if there is power feeding through. What brand of fuel pump did you use for the replacement?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fishsticks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2021 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fishsticksSend a Private Message to fishsticksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This should help you get your bearings as well.

842m4SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2021 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 842m4SESend a Private Message to 842m4SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fishsticks:

Let's get the basics out of the way.

There's a 3 wire connector from the fuel sender assembly that snakes up the firewall towards the main harness.

Black should show continuity to ground and tan(sometimes gray) should show 12v during initial key on (just a couple seconds for prime) and cranking.

Does your fuel gauge read correctly?

It reads 8.1 when the key is on, and stays that way. The fuel gauge reads correctly to my knowledge, not sure how accurate it is though.

[This message has been edited by 842m4SE (edited 05-12-2021).]

skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2021 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you said you did work.. perhaps check your plug and cable? they run by that CAT and are prone to melting if routed incorrectly .

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 05-12-2021).]

842m4SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2021 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 842m4SESend a Private Message to 842m4SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

you said you did work.. perhaps check your plug and cable? they run by that CAT and are prone to melting if routed incorrectly .

I have, all looks to be well - no melting, cuts, or anything weird on the shroud or visible wires. Dis and reconnected the plug leading to the fuel pump a few times and it is reading ~8 volts.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2021 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
id say jump 12v to the pump and see if it kicks. You should be able to read the voltage to of the fuel pump directly on the ALDL connector next to the lighter on/in the center console. Im not sure of 90% of things on 84s but you should be able to jump 12 volt to it there. its a Tan/White wire top row all the way on the drivers side. 8v seems too low could be a bad relay.

if not its not uncommon for a tank to have rust you did not see and for it to kill a new fuel pump. Im starting to think you need to drop the tank and look.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 05-12-2021).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2021 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For fuel pump testing purposes, jump 12v from the cigarette lighter to the ALDL fuel pump terminal.

842m4SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2021 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 842m4SESend a Private Message to 842m4SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

id say jump 12v to the pump and see if it kicks. You should be able to read the voltage to of the fuel pump directly on the ALDL connector next to the lighter on/in the center console. Im not sure of 90% of things on 84s but you should be able to jump 12 volt to it there. its a Tan/White wire top row all the way on the drivers side. 8v seems too low could be a bad relay.

if not its not uncommon for a tank to have rust you did not see and for it to kill a new fuel pump. Im starting to think you need to drop the tank and look.

Replaced the relay today and same thing happened - nothing at all from the fuel pump. Jumping it did make a sound, each time they connected it made a short tap or clunking sound, but nothing else even when connected. What is it supposed to do?
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2021 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Supposed to hum a bit like a normal fuel pump sound. A clunk sounds not good.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2021 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apply power directly to the fuel pump connector using clip leads. If you then have no fuel pressure, you purchased a defective pump . Ebay is full of AC Delco counterfeit pumps. Also today AC Delco stuffs just about any product that they can find in their boxes That's why I now use only Bosch Fuel pumps that are made in their own factory.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

842m4SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2021 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 842m4SESend a Private Message to 842m4SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

For fuel pump testing purposes, jump 12v from the cigarette lighter to the ALDL fuel pump terminal.

Appreciate the image, did that again today and all it's doing is clunking when they connect, and not humming or doing anything while they are connected. Cigarette lighter is reading 12 volts so not looking too good for the fuel pump.

[This message has been edited by 842m4SE (edited 05-13-2021).]

842m4SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2021 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 842m4SESend a Private Message to 842m4SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

842m4SE

82 posts
Member since Sep 2020

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Apply power directly to the fuel pump connector using clip leads. If you then have no fuel pressure, you purchased a defective pump . Ebay is full of AC Delco counterfeit pumps. Also today AC Delco stuffs just about any product that they can find in their boxes That's why I now use only Bosch Fuel pumps that are made in their own factory.

Unfortunately it's just clunking when I first put the leads on, then nothing. The fuel pump "Precision fuel pumps" actually came with the car, the previous owner ordered a couple of parts but never got to fixing.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2021 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 842m4SE:

...all it's doing is clunking when they connect, and not humming

I'm afraid you'll be dropping the tank again.

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reminds me of the ignition module that came with my new distributor. Literally failed within a week. Swapped back in the Delco one that was 5+ years old and was in the previous distributor.
Tony Santucci

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2021 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony SantucciSend a Private Message to Tony SantucciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 842m4SE:

Unfortunately it's just clunking when I first put the leads on, then nothing. The fuel pump "Precision fuel pumps" actually came with the car, the previous owner ordered a couple of parts but never got to fixing.

Just for the record, I used a Precision fuel pump. It lasted about a week. I replaced it with a Delphi. Seems to be good to go so far.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock