Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Question about rebuilding rear calipers, 1985 2m4.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Question about rebuilding rear calipers, 1985 2m4. by Mikeq716
Started on: 05-09-2021 11:27 PM
Replies: 2 (386 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 05-14-2021 08:08 PM
Mikeq716

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2021 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mikeq716Send a Private Message to Mikeq716Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone,

Recently, I purchased a 1985 2m4 from a friend as a project car, to keep as a 4 cylinder, and restore it back to what it was. One of the issues the car had, was no emergency brake. I have replaced all of the emergency brake cables, but in the process, a buddy attempted to compress one of the pistons without using the correct tool to spin it back in. Needless to say the caliper started leaking. I decided that I would take both rear calipers off at this point and rebuild them because of the age of the car and the importance of being able to stop. I removed the calipers, and took them apart. Instead of using air to remove the pistons, i used a 2x4 and gently tapped them out via the spinning bolt on the back of the caliper. I will upload pictures of the calipers, and the pistons. My question is are the calipers and pistons worth rebuilding? As the t shaped piece that sits in the pistons were not even between the 2, i gently tapped them so that they were even. I hope I have explained the situation in enough detail, if not please let me know and I will ellaborate.

Thank you so much, Mike

[This message has been edited by Mikeq716 (edited 05-09-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2021 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First mistake is turning a piston to retract them.

Shell maybe ok
Piston is not. That "dirt" on outside where hydro seal works is so bad likely new seal will not last if seals at all.
can't tell if back is pushed out and don't have my notes...
But doesn't matter if Front is broken.

Not sure what said above... You mean you hit/pushed the piston back cover where park brake screw works?
If true the Piston "guts" are F'd even before you started the job.

See my Cave, Rear Brakes, Clamp Method notes & Brake Service to start...

Rebuild "kits" only works to fix bad seals etc. for the shells w/ good pistons.
Bad Rear pistons are not made for "rebuilding" no matter what the "internet" says.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2021 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

First mistake is turning a piston to retract them.

Yes that's correct but you can remove the parking brake lever and twist the screw that enters the piston. You can do this by hand and its quite easy to retract the piston. Just need to remember to put the seal and washer back in the right order when done. If you wish to rebuild you may be able to find new pistons and seals but you will need to hone the caliper bore smooth. If those are too pitted then the rebuild will not be successful. Fiero brake calipers that work are getting hard to find and rebuild.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock