leak by meadeka
Started on: 05-03-2021 08:36 AM
Replies: 6 (498 views)
Last post by: meadeka on 05-04-2021 04:33 PM
meadeka

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2021 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for meadekaSend a Private Message to meadekaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I took my fiero for a spin over the weekend... when I got back home I noticed there was something leaking onto my front right wheel. I took a look under it and did not find where the leak was coming from. I also determined that it was not break fluid. It was really sticky as well. My dad thinks since the fiero has not been driven in a decade that when I started to use the brakes more, something about something being worn out. He also mentioned something about it being grease. Sorry for the lack of detail I don't know any better ways to word this. What could it be? and how can I fix this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

------------------
Kaiden Meade

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2021 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get thee to your service manual (even a Chilton's or Hayne's, in this case) and look up "front wheel bearings." There's a seal inside the front hubs and you're likely seeing, yep, grease.

Two things of note: one, only use grease that says DISC BRAKE. The older drum stuff isn't rated for the temperatures involved. Two, setting bearing preload is a bit weird on these cars, not just the usual tighten-until-it-stops-and-back-off-one-hex bit.

Also, fwiw, helpful to have subject lines like "Leak by front wheel", bit more specific

--A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 05-03-2021).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2021 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If grease or oil as most grease types can "melt" from heat or age.

Upper or lower ball joint have Rubber boots to seal.
Likely one or both failed and grease leaked.

Boot can fail from old age, too much grease "popping" them, etc.

Boot fail won't kill you. Clean up up the grease mess and check for play in the ball joint. Play there = dead BJ. No play then can drive for a while and replace when more time/money.

Wheel Bearing Grease leak can F'd the brake parts. look for grease on dirt shield, back rotor, caliper and pad.

Should be easy to find just removing a wheel.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2021 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
description of color, smell and viscosity would help... or a photo. super easy to add a photo directly from your phone. Front right i think radiator overflow,
meadeka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2021 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for meadekaSend a Private Message to meadekaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kind of tranny fluid should I put in my fiero?

------------------
Kaiden Meade

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2021 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by meadeka:

What kind of tranny fluid should I put in my fiero?

You need to be mentioning a few more details about your Fiero when asking questions about it... including the type of transmission your car has.
meadeka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2021 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for meadekaSend a Private Message to meadekaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I know is it’s l44 v6 automatic, if this helps it’s an 86gt

------------------
Kaiden Meade

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock