rusEFI for LZ4 + 4T65-E Swap into an 85 by CaptainHindsight
Started on: 04-30-2021 05:28 AM
Replies: 12 (389 views)
Last post by: CaptainHindsight on 05-31-2021 07:31 PM
CaptainHindsight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2021 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CaptainHindsightSend a Private Message to CaptainHindsightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to start a swap of a 2007 G6 LZ4 + 4T65-E into an 85 currently with an iron Duke and automatic. I will be using rusEFI for the engine and trans control. Are there any other rusEFI users here?

rusEFI is an open source software and hardware ECU

https://rusefi.com/
https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/wiki

I'll post all the tuning configs and mods for anyone else that wants to follow in my footsteps.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2021 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not using the rusefi stuff, but it looks neat at a glance. supporting DBW native is a huge plus IMO. My MS3 requires an add on board.

I'll be following along, what are your overall build plans? stock engine and trans, to make a fun DD?

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

CaptainHindsight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2021 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CaptainHindsightSend a Private Message to CaptainHindsightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mostly stock. Initially just some head porting and polishing, new gaskets/seals and s shift kit for the trans. The car was a barn find that sat for >20 years. The interior looks pretty new except that it smells a bit like death warmed over. Most of the rubber parts are worn/rotted and will all be replaced. The tank had a gallon of goo that didn't resemble any type of fuel.

It's getting a custom paint job and I'm replacing a bit of the upper rear frame rails near the shock towers. Suspension will get all new urethane bushings after media blasting and powder coating. New shocks, bearings, rotors, calipers, hoses, tires and rims etc
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2021 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the LZ4 heads are really good, honestly, I would run them as is if I were you.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

CaptainHindsight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2021 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CaptainHindsightSend a Private Message to CaptainHindsightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It needs some valve work anyway.
CaptainHindsight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaptainHindsightSend a Private Message to CaptainHindsightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cylinders all had pretty good compression test results ~215 psi except for the middle two ~190 psi. So I figured a valve job after squirting some oil in each cylinder and retesting. The compression all went up evenly about 15-20 psi. I pulled the valve covers off and found the rockers and pushrods covered in rust!

The engine turned over freely with a wrench and the cylinders all looked good looking into the park plug holes. The oil had already been drained from the engine but what did drip out looked good.

After pulling the entire engine apart it looks like water had sat in the oil pan for a few months. There is a rusty water line on the crank and some rust on the roller lifters. So what was supposed to be just a tear down, cleaning and all new gaskets is now a complete rebuild with boring, honing, pistons, rings, bearings, oil pump, push rods, etc . etc. All the gaskets were original and the head gaskets looked good.

The engine and trans was only $300 on CL from central WI. All it took was for the previous owner to put a 10 cent garbage bag over the engine when he stored it. Oh well, but it will run better than new when completed.

[This message has been edited by CaptainHindsight (edited 05-07-2021).]

CaptainHindsight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaptainHindsightSend a Private Message to CaptainHindsightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CaptainHindsight

14 posts
Member since Apr 2021
A few more pics of the LZ4 internals

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2021 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why the shift kit?
CaptainHindsight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2021 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaptainHindsightSend a Private Message to CaptainHindsightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Higher pressures at the clutches and less slip vs lower and more slip. Firmer vs softer shift.

2007 GM 3.5L V6 VVT ( LZ4 ) https://www.g6performance.com/forum/arc ... -1334.html

Hydra-Matic 4T65-E Transmission Repair Manual https://procarmanuals.com/wp-content/up ... Manual.pdf

[This message has been edited by CaptainHindsight (edited 05-12-2021).]

Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it appears that your links are not working for me??

CaptainHindsight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaptainHindsightSend a Private Message to CaptainHindsightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2021 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks

CaptainHindsight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2021 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaptainHindsightSend a Private Message to CaptainHindsightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did some checking to see if LS7 1.8:1 Rocker will work on a LZ4 Head and Pedestal

https://i.imgur.com/HEppQs0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6ZxEpKG.mp4

As you can see they walk off the valve stem with the head as is.

The stock LZ4 machine screws for the rockers have to large a diameter pedestal to fit the LS7 rockers.

[This message has been edited by CaptainHindsight (edited 05-31-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock