Door weight by Cajun
Started on: 04-29-2021 10:25 PM
Replies: 1 (357 views)
Last post by: theogre on 04-30-2021 11:08 AM
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2021 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know what is the weight of a door, complete? Specifically a 86GT door with full power.

The reason I ask is because my 86GT has Lambo door hinges. The doors are supported by 2 - gas cylinders (pistons/springs). The spring sizes are 140#s & 160#s.
The gas pistons are failing and was thinking about increasing the sizes of the pistons.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Mike
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2021 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't have weight specs but have replace Many "Gas Springs" in many cars...
Main problem is they wear out just for opening/closing often.

Hood GS often last decades because doesn't get cycled every month let alone every day.
OTOH Trunk GS often fails < 5 years, even faster, for people that use them 1 to many times a day. I replace my GS on a hatchback cars, mini-vans and SUVs several times because have to put computers and large HP printers in the back several times a day doing my job for a "Fortune 500" size company.

So having them on a Driver's door, even w/ heavier units, may not last any better then GS that are dying.

⚠️ Warning: Upgrading to stronger GS can backfire.
Is a very narrow window to "counter balance" doors and deck lids so the work but not too strong and break things or hurting you.
Example: Most people don't know Ford Pinto/Bobcat had 2 hatchbacks. Common is Metal Frame w/ Glass center. Rarer is All Glass hatch/lid. When you replace GS on them you had to make sure which "lid" for which GS. Because if you put GS make for metal/glass lid on all glass lid... The all glass was way lighter and if you fail to control when opening/closing, worse if you use "power trunk" button, the all glass lid could "Slam Open" fast and can hurt you and/or break the Safety Glass spraying "BB" and smaller size glass pellets all over the place.
Was it really that bad? The weight difference is large enough that "worn out" GS for metal/glass lids that can't hold them open was often still too strong to use w/ all glass lids.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-30-2021).]

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock