Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Which Socket Size To Hammer On And Remove A Wheel Lock With Lost Key?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Which Socket Size To Hammer On And Remove A Wheel Lock With Lost Key? by reinhart
Started on: 04-27-2021 09:05 PM
Replies: 6 (2265 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 05-07-2021 04:31 AM
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a couple junkyard factory wheel locks I want to remove with no key. I obviously don't care if locks are destroyed. I've seen a bunch of threads from people mentioning hammering on a 12-point socket that's smaller than the factory lock lug nuts but no mention of the size.

If I can just barely slide a 12 point socket on the lock lug, then would I go just one size smaller on the removal socket or two sizes smaller? Or better yet does anyone remember the exact size 12 point socket he used to remove them in the past? Would like to be prepared when I get to the yard so would just go by pep boys and grab the right size socket if I can. I have a socket set I don't want to ruin.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're using a Craftman socket it should have a lifetime warranty, as I've always been told. If so just bring back the pieces and tell them you were torqueing your lug nuts and suddenly the socket exploded around 65 ft lbs.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2021 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy an inexpensive set of locking lug nut removal sockets on eBay for about $17.00.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2021 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
22mm bolt extractor

Edit:
post 25 on my build i have pics of the oem style i removed from oem wheels
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...HTML/144556.html#p25

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 04-29-2021).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2021 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which lock... OEM, McGard, etc.
McGard & other aftermarket lock has different sizes depending on lock used.
Which Rims? Because many rims don't clear "ez out" type tools. Many barely fits thin wall sockets to remove normal lugs or the "true" key to remove many locks.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2021 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I was test fitting some 12 point wrenches on my own locking lugs and it looks like the 20mm is just slightly smaller than the locks. The 3/4" would be the next size smaller if the 20 just freespun once I started tightening it. So I went to the hardware store and picked them up. Drove to the yard and two more of the wheels had been removed from two days earlier. Someone just wanted the 14 inch Fiero wheels I guess because nothing was taken off besides them so I didn't have to worry about it. Wanted to document the sizes for someone else with a future question.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can confirm the 20mm 12 point works perfectly. I hammered it onto the lock nut with about 3 medium hits from a sledge hammer and it turned right out no problem. No slippage and was able to get the socket off by hammering it a couple times from the side right before the lug was off the threads. The socket has three deformities inside but could easily be used several more times. (If you needed to remove multiple wheels in one trip). I'll likely just swap it out so I have a fresh socket since it's under lifetime from Home Depot. (HD was the only store I could find that had a 12 pt 20mm it (none of the auto parts stores or harbor freight) but didn't check Lowe's).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock