Return fuel line by Curlrup
Started on: 04-13-2021 10:55 PM
Replies: 6 (161 views)
Last post by: Curlrup on 04-14-2021 08:33 PM
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 2.8 V6. I'm replacing the fuel pump. When disconnecting the return line I noticed that there is a pinhole right after the 90° bend that the hose connects to in the hard return line. My question is is it safe to cut the hard metal line off flare the end and just add a longer flexible hose from the tank to compensate for those lost 4 in of Hardline? Or should I just spend the $90 on a brand new line from the Fiero store? I'm a little nervous adding more flexible hose with a hot catalytic converter close by.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the return line is only slightly above atmospheric pressure, the problem you may run into is that it is a 5/16" line which is kinda a bastard size. if you can find a compression union, you can cut the line at the pinhole, and install the union at that point.

another option to consider, you may be able to solder or weld the hole shut, just be very careful for obvious reasons(if they aren't obvious, they will be)

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I've had really poor luck with fierostore parts almost everything I've bought from them has been well below my quality standards. The only part that hasn't been below standards was the arrowheads for my sail panels. YRMV, but I would hesitate to use safety critical parts from them.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pinholes are hard to guess...
Return and Vent lines can rust from inside to outside.
Most times rust outside to in.

I would look for other rust spots.
If has many or some on outlet to engine then likely replace it.
Just a pinhole on pressurize supply line will "leak" a lot a fuel and fast. Return line less so there w/ near 0 psi but still be very dangerous.

If just 1 hole on return line several ways can be fix other then cut the tube.
Even slip a bit of hose over it then clamp over that.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32246 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by ericjon262:
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I've had really poor luck with fierostore parts almost everything I've bought from them has been well below my quality standards. The only part that hasn't been below standards was the arrowheads for my sail panels. YRMV, but I would hesitate to use safety critical parts from them.
Not just you but many here and in "the real world" think TFS is God and don't know or care some parts are junk, illegal or both.
I cringe every fool in a parking lot tells me about TFS...
Tony Santucci

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony SantucciSend a Private Message to Tony SantucciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curlrup:

1986 2.8 V6. I'm replacing the fuel pump. When disconnecting the return line I noticed that there is a pinhole right after the 90° bend that the hose connects to in the hard return line. My question is is it safe to cut the hard metal line off flare the end and just add a longer flexible hose from the tank to compensate for those lost 4 in of Hardline? Or should I just spend the $90 on a brand new line from the Fiero store? I'm a little nervous adding more flexible hose with a hot catalytic converter close by.

That's what I would do. Either that or go get a roll of 5/16 tubing and make a new line.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

I'm going to go way out on a limb and suggest Fiero Store doesn't actually make their stainless fuel (or brake) lines; they buy them from Inline Tube or some other manufacturer; the same companies that make them for all those resto-mod muscle cars and restored classics we see at every cruise night. A few rungs up the quality ladder over some guy vacuum-forming plastic trim parts in his basement (which is where some of the FS comes from).

Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cut out the bad section flared the end, double clamped it. Good. Runs great.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock