Fiero GT stock camshaft dowel size by Xenoblast
Started on: 04-12-2021 05:11 PM
Replies: 8 (226 views)
Last post by: marc-alan on 04-14-2021 09:32 AM
Xenoblast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2021 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the size of the stock camshaft dowel pin? Mine sheered off and I need to press in a new one. engine is stock 2.8 in a 1987 fiero gt
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No one has a camshaft laying around that they can check or a camshaft sprocket?
Tony Santucci

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony SantucciSend a Private Message to Tony SantucciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope you get some help. All I have been able to come up with is that it is metric, and smaller than 1/4". Can you remove the part that remains in the camshaft and measure that?
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Santucci:

Can you remove the part that remains in the camshaft and measure that?

I have been trying to take out of sheared dowel pin, I figured it would be way easier to just drill the size of the dowel pin in there. Its like inset in the cam, not flush.
Tony Santucci

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony SantucciSend a Private Message to Tony SantucciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope you get some help. All I have been able to come up with is that it is metric, and smaller than 1/4". Can you remove the part that remains in the camshaft and measure that?
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am considering just omitting the dowel and just using the holes to line it up. Is this a bad idea?
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xenoblast:

I am considering just omitting the dowel and just using the holes to line it up. Is this a bad idea?

I have a 2.8 on a cradle with the timing cover removed. Next trip to the garage 13 miles away, I can measure it. Could be tomorrow or the day after for sure.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Tony Santucci

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony SantucciSend a Private Message to Tony SantucciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xenoblast:

That is a bad idea. The pin is there to maintain cam timing. The pin is probably hardened, and is going to suck to remove. YOu could over drill to the small block chevy size, but getting the hole centered well and drilled accurately with the old pin in there will be difficult as well. You might just want to replace the cam at this point!

marc-alan

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have my a 3.4 pushrod cam, I believe its the same dowel.

It measures .236" diameter or 6.0 mm

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock