No spark under certain voltage by Xenoblast
Started on: 04-10-2021 12:17 PM
Replies: 11 (240 views)
Last post by: Xenoblast on 04-27-2021 08:46 PM
Xenoblast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2021 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This morning, my car wouldnt start to get to work. It turned over just fine, but wouldnt start. I noticed the tachometer didnt move, which makes me think no spark. The thing is, this has happened before and how I fixed it was by jumping the car and it started right up. I think the voltage was at like 12.3 or something like that. Normally its around 13 volts.

The starter sounded exactly the same as it usually does when it starts right up.

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 04-10-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2021 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as there's enough voltage to turn over the engine reasonably fast enough, there should be enough voltage to provide the required spark. Over the years I've had practically dead batteries that barely turned over the engine (both 2.5 and 2.8), and the engines have started.

Does your engine start immediately when the battery's fully charged, or does it need to crank over several revolutions?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-10-2021).]

Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2021 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Does your engine start immediately when the battery's fully charged, or does it need to crank over several revolutions

It takes a few rotations. I just thought its that way because the previous owner deleted the cold start injector. However now that I think about it, it still takes a few rotations even when warm.

I think one time at my friends house it took a good 10 seconds of cranking to start the engine. This morning I cranked it for probably 25 seconds and then just gave up and took another car.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2021 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's been my experience that a healthy happy engine will start within two seconds... and often as soon as the starter engages.
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2021 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's been my experience that a healthy happy engine will start within two seconds... and often as soon as the starter engages.

It does usually start within 2 seconds if the battery is fully charged, I was just stating outlying cases when the battery isnt fully charged.

Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2021 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xenoblast

274 posts
Member since May 2020
I went to start my car after work after letting the battery charge, and it still wouldnt start. Apparently my car just broke itself overnight...
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2021 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xenoblast

274 posts
Member since May 2020
Replaced the ICM, problem fixed. I bet when it took 10 seconds to crank it was dying.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2021 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xenoblast:

Replaced the ICM, problem fixed. I bet when it took 10 seconds to crank it was dying.

Happy ending...

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Tony Santucci

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony SantucciSend a Private Message to Tony SantucciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might want to clean and tighten all the engine grounds just for hahas. A less than good ground will eat ignition modules. Glad you got it fixed quickly!!!
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Santucci:

Might want to clean and tighten all the engine grounds just for hahas. A less than good ground will eat ignition modules. Glad you got it fixed quickly!!!

welp, another one broke. where are all of the ground straps?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xenoblast:

welp, another one broke.

ICM?

If so, was it an ACDelco unit?

Did you use proper heat sink compound (not grease) between the underside of the ICM and the base of the distributor?

Did you replace the pickup coil inside the distributor? (This is often recommended when the ICM is replaced.)
PFF
System Bot
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2021 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ICM?

If so, was it an ACDelco unit?

Did you use proper heat sink compound (not grease) between the underside of the ICM and the base of the distributor?

Did you replace the pickup coil inside the distributor? (This is often recommended when the ICM is replaced.)

I have no idea if it was acdelco, it was a spare from the previous owner. The one i just replaced it was acdelco. I used thermal paste, like the ones you would use for computer cpus on it last time. I did not replace the pickup coil.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock