Started on: 04-07-2021 07:22 PM
Replies: 1 (202 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 04-07-2021 08:09 PM
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2021 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Prestone, PEAK, and likely others recently claim many Coolants are now rated at 10 years or 300,000 miles.
Not sure when this started but likely only Months, not a year or three. Was at Prestone site last summer or fall and not available then.

https://prestone.com/produc...coolant-concentrate/
https://peakauto.com/produc...olant-full-strength/

300,000 miles? Doubt many believe that and most brands can avoid that by claiming old coolant cause whatever problem.
10 years? Warranty? Same issue as X miles.
But if you Properly Flush then fill w/ these products then likely will last a much longer time before additives wear out vs 3 or 5 year coolant.
(See my Cave, Coolant Fill)

I believe many have problems w/ EPA and Car Makers for many reasons. Some guesses:
EPA likely wants to reduce coolant waste but can't find specific rules changes.
Many new cars have radiator and heater core are not made of simple tubes. (Similar to many new AC systems w/ mirco-channel condensers and evaporators.)
Coolant flows thru many battery packs for full E-cars and Hybrids and often the packs have small "tubes" too.

Note: Peak SIERRA and other Propylene Glycol Coolant seem to Not have change the formulas like above.

Other then Pep Boys and Walmart, does anyone take Coolant?
While is a HAZMAT, most states etc Do Not take Coolant at Home HAZMAT drop-off events and so on.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2021 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Prestone, PEAK, and likely others recently claim many Coolants are now rated at 10 years or 300,000 miles.

Sounds like more BS. After reading the fine print right after the (*)

*Lifetime Protection: 10+ years/300,000+ miles lifetime guarantee when a complete cooling system flush and fill is performed and proper cooling system maintenance is followed. Always follow vehicle owner’s manual for top off requirements, change intervals and specified maintenance.

The 10+ years/300,000+miles can never be reached if you follow the owners manual for top off requirements, change intervals, yada yada. Of course unless the product is transferable from 1 vehicle to the next to accumulate the 10+ years and 300,000+ miles.

I've got to be missing something here, right?

While I'm on a roll I stopped at Napa today to pick up some brake grease that you (theogre) recently recommended. They had a bucket sale for $2.99 and what ever you could stuff in the bucket you get 20% off. So I stacked 2 more buckets in the one I initially picked up.
Needless to say they wouldn't honor the gesture and made up some excuse about the computer would no ring up the additional buckets at the 20% off deal. Always an angle......

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 04-07-2021).]

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock