coils by meadeka
Started on: 04-06-2021 05:17 PM
Replies: 17 (379 views)
Last post by: theogre on 04-09-2021 01:18 AM
meadeka

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2021 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for meadekaSend a Private Message to meadekaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does anyone have a recommendation on to which ignition coil I should get?

------------------
Kaiden Meade

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2021 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the MSD coil fail suddenly without warning after a few years, but otherwise worked fine.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2021 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've read tests that showed that quality OEM coils put out as much spark energy as the aftermarket "performance coils". I'd just go genuine AC Delco.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2021 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
I've read tests that showed that quality OEM coils put out as much spark energy as the aftermarket "performance coils".

At some point you need more metal/copper to store more energy in the ignition coil.

Within the confines of the stock form factor, the aftermarket is going to be limited in what they can do.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2021 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Standard Motor Products RED BOX.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2021 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an MSD coil but moved it to the trunk wall....Dropped the temp from 160 to 120 (I also made an extra heat shield to block the heat of the cross-over pipe) Have had this since 2012....No trouble.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 04-06-2021).]

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2021 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for an otherwise stock engine, there's no need to buy anything fancy. once you start packing on boost or high compression/RPM, then it starts to matter a bit more.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2021 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM OE HEI is solid to 8000 rpm. AC Delco doesn't make coils for '80's vintage anything, it's all reboxed aftermarket. That said, Standard Motor Products supplies a LOT to AC Delco.
https://www.standardbrand.c...n/ecatalog?year=1986
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2021 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I have an MSD coil but moved it to the trunk wall....Dropped the temp from 160 to 120 (I also made an extra heat shield to block the heat of the cross-over pipe) Have had this since 2012....No trouble.

Can you tell us where you got the ignition coil plugs from? I have been wanting to do this, but I dont know where to get the right lengthed cables.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2021 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The coil wire is a MSD part, 18" long....https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-84039

Here are some better pics of the coil mount and the heat shield....

Sorry it took a while to load the pics; It requires that I >>PREVIOUSLY<< be logged in...But when I had posted and then went to edit, it stated that I was not logged on.....Tried 3 times....Computers, they will be the DEATH of us all!

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 04-08-2021).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2021 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The coil wire is a MSD part, 18" long.... MSD Ignition 84039 - MSD 8.5mm

I'd think that the bigger challenge would be to extend the wiring harness?
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2021 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A) I am an ex-A/C electrician, and B) I just spliced in some wire to extend it, using Raychem environmental splices....

The bad thing is you need a special crimping tool....and they (The tool) are $125-250 each.....

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 04-08-2021).]

Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2021 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah ok, I can just splice the wiring. I thought you bought a longer wire connector between the icm and the ignition coil.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2021 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
During my coil search 8yrs ago, I got tired of finding AC, Standard and may others that had loose coil packs. What I was seeing was in new out of the box coil units the coil packs (the copper winding ) were loose in their mounting inside the hoop. In other words, I was able to shake the coil unit and see and hear the winding pack rattle loosely. Go look at a few and you'll see what I mean. Just lousy construction.

I then started a search for a better coil unit. I heard allot of good and bad about the MSD Blaster. After determining the Blaster unit wasn't for me I stumbled upon the MSD Streetfire coil. The MSD Streetfire is basically MSD's stock replacement in a better package. For me the pluses were that the coil pack was tightly encased in a moisture sealed exterior and very well mounted inside the hoop, yes and no more rattling, and that the output of the coil was at or slightly better than OEM coils for the 2.8L. Also it mounts correctly into the stock coil position next to the distributor.

It's been 8yrs. with zero issues using the MDS Streetfire in a stock 2.8L. Below is the one I use.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-5526

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 04-08-2021).]

Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2021 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can you tell us where you got the ignition coil plugs from? I have been wanting to do this, but I dont know where to get the right lengthed cables.
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2021 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xenoblast

274 posts
Member since May 2020
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2021 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Xenoblast

274 posts
Member since May 2020
it wont let me delete this for some reason ignore
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2021 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
85 and later standard Coil pigtails are sold at many "stores" as Dorman parts. 84 and older not available so need to upgrade to 85 plug and coil.

Crimp splices use 3M butt crimps w/ "weather proof" heat shrink cover.
many others may look same but often weak parts.
Must use a good crimp tool. Not cheap tools sold thru most auto part and other stores made of stamp metal.

Make sure HEI coils iron cores are Grounded.
If not then can cause problems and kill ICM or other E-parts.

Many here have problems w/ MSD and Accell. Use search.
Any coil claiming Hotter the OE for GM HEI and DIS often have problems.
For HEI, hot coils can burn out center of most dist caps and the rotor.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock