Radio by ReeseD
Started on: 04-05-2021 06:22 PM
Replies: 2 (248 views)
Last post by: Alibi on 04-07-2021 08:21 PM
ReeseD

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2021 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReeseDSend a Private Message to ReeseDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The radio in my 1986 fiero has been giving me issues since i bought it. When i press the power button the speakers make a thumping sound then sometimes a buzzing noise. All the lights in the center dash work except the clock display. Ive yet to try anything because i dont really know where to start. Any advice would be great thanks.

------------------
Reese Douglas

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2021 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. In this case my advice would be spend some time using the Search function for the active Technical Discussion & Questions forum. There will at least be some posts that cover the basics of how the sound system is put together, the parts, and connectors. There might even be a post with this particular problem already described.

Edit -- a good place to start is Ogre's Cave (see link at bottom of the page) and look at the Interior > Audio sub-section ...

[This message has been edited by Notorio (edited 04-05-2021).]

Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2021 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ronald Finger on Youtube has a GREAT Fiero restoration series. Its worth watching the whole thing but he has a video just for restoring his radio. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJLkxzgnwA

I also need to rebuild a dead radio. I suspect most issues to be simple, just a matter of finding them:

-deteriorated rubber cassette belt - replace, apparently there is a pack of multiple lengths available on Amazon
-bad/broken solder joints - reflow with flux and an iron
-replace bad capacitors (electrolytic caps tend to start to go out of tolerance in 10-20 years and will sometimes bulge, replace all the bulged ones and go from there)

[This message has been edited by Alibi (edited 04-07-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock