Stock suspension tire setup by redromo
Started on: 04-05-2021 06:09 PM
Replies: 5 (192 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 04-06-2021 01:36 PM
redromo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2021 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redromoSend a Private Message to redromoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been searching archives and haven't been able to find the answer I specifically need. I'd like to put either 17" or 18" rims on my stock 85 and I'd prefer not to upgrade my suspension to coilovers yet. I'm not looking for the widest tires front/rear either. Just looking for some larger rims with lower profile tires. Any size/offset suggestions/pics would be much appreciated.

[This message has been edited by redromo (edited 04-05-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2021 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually have 16 x 7 (38 mm offset) wheels on my 85 SE V6 (With body changes) and running 205/55 and 225/55 tires...The tire sizes were both on a number of popular cars in the late 80s and early 90s so there is a large selection. I run General G-Max AS-05 tires which rate highly on Tirerack and are also lighter than most tires. Lightness pays dividends in both ride and handling- also performance- acceleration and braking.

I dropped 3 lbs off of each wheel/tire in the rear and 6 lbs off each front back in 2010 when I switched to this basic setup. The car went from driving like a truck to driving like a modern car- lighter feel......Before it felt "Club-footed".....

redromo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2021 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redromoSend a Private Message to redromoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like the look of those 16s. My car is also white. Did you have to do the body mods or was it just the lower vents that you changed?

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2021 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had parked the car for a few years...Noticed some moss on the top surfaces, so I sprayed it off with the hose....and the PAINT went with it! (Aiyeeee!) Went to the JYs and found factory paint upper surfaces to replace the bad ones....and of course, changed to the later GT style quarter panels. The scoops were from the Fiero Warehouse, and I made the "B" pillars out of aluminum (G6 emblem covers the screw that locks them in place).....The wheels and tires fit a stock Fiero body.

The wheels are VOXX Monza wheels, originally Black spokes with chrome in the center...I painted them the same color as the B pillars, and they really came out looking good. I also did some odd things to the stabilizer bars to improve both the turn-in and the drop-throttle oversteer (Suspension is my special-ality) The Fiero suspension is not really up to super low-profile tires. I will NEVER go below a 4" sidewall.

The VOXX Monzas, sadly are no longer available (Except used) but there are others, including the ASA AR1s which are similar in style and same size but weigh more. I just did some research and the Konig Lightning Wheel is very nice, reasonable price and weighs only 16 lbs...And the 16 x 7 is 40 mm offset which IMPROVES steering effort and kick-back.

The 205 and 225 tires on my 2600 lb Fiero would be equal to 265 and 295 width tires on the 3500 lb Vette. Keeping things light (Especially un-sprung weight) makes a huge improvement in both performance and FEEL of the car.

(By the way, I thought your car was a picture of my car back 20 years ago- Exactly the same except for the pinstripe (I actually did a 1/4" wide stripe in blue on the rub strip....very subtle "Hey, what's blue on your car?")

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 04-05-2021).]

redromo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2021 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redromoSend a Private Message to redromoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm planning on 17x7 38 on 225/45r17 tires all around. Would this setup fit without any suspension mods from stock?

[This message has been edited by redromo (edited 04-06-2021).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2021 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just checked on Tirerack, the sizes 205/45-17 and 225/45-17 are available from a number of different companies...The General G-max are a good tire....$355 with rebate...Lighter than most and cheaper; A set of Michelin pilot 4s is $602....

The 225/45 is a little big for the front end and would add weight and make the steering heavy.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 04-06-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock