Rear control arm bracket by SemperFi18
Started on: 04-03-2021 06:56 PM
Replies: 3 (185 views)
Last post by: theogre on 04-04-2021 11:34 AM
SemperFi18

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2021 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I have a small issue I'm hoping you guys can help with. I'm not quite sure what it's called I'm sure it has something to do with alignment, but I seem to have misplaced that small bracket that goes over the spindle on the rear control arm that mounts with the ball joint. So the bracket in between the control arm and the knuckle when you install the spindle into this knuckle... If that makes sense.

I've had the entire cradle in parts spread throughout my garage while the engine is being rebuilt. I went to install the new control arm bushings and ball joints today to get things ready and I cannot find both of those brackets for the left and right side. I'll try to load a picture but it usually gives me issues.

if you look on the Fiero store control arm assembly they sell you can see the small bracket mounted with the ball joint. I just need those brackets to get the project rolling, knowing at least exactly what they're called would help me track them down. Thanks in advance and have a good one!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2021 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so that part is not in the parts book because the lower control arm is a single unit. It would have nothing to do with the alignment as the lower ball joint is non adjustable. Someone may chime in but i think it may have originally been part of the steering stop system for when the rear suspension was the front suspension on another model. I could be wrong... My tubular A arms don't have them.

Come to think of it the rear lower control arms are a Fiero only part AFAIK so... Im no help

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 04-03-2021).]

SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2021 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what I'm starting to think the deal is.. looks like it prevents a certain amount of travel for the knuckle but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone chimes in, and hopefully it's not a necessary part, I don't see it being a very important bracket.. But I could be wrong, I'm sure they'll turn up in my garage one day, but they are GONE without a trace. Now I'm stuck until I can get them
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2021 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the order to install is
"bracket"
CA
BJ flange

the bracket is very likely needed by Rivets and Bolts to replace them to spreed out clamping force.
Otherwise the three rivets etc have Point Loads just under the heads on the arm metal. Worse if rivets bolts flange and arm itself isn't machine perfectly flat.
Then many rivets and bolts don't like joining thin CA metal because how there made. New bolts are likely running out of threads w/o thickness of all parts.
New hardware is likely Class 10.9 or better too. Softer bolts etc can fail.

Limiting steering travel is a side benefit, likely just try to limit steering if other parts fail.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock